Escaped rat. Ideas for catching

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
pearly135

Escaped rat. Ideas for catching

Post by pearly135 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 am

Hi Guys! Really needs some advice I bought 4 baby rats around 5 days ago now and usually i 'rat proof' my room and just let them all run loose but one of them (Robert) was obviously startled by something and slid under the tiny gap under my wardrobe me being a new rat owner i started to panick which priobably freaked him out more. Anyway I put his little home in front of the gap he's sniffing around seeing whats about. Finally he comes out and I.. VERY SLOWLY, approach his hide-away he freaks out jumps everywhere I dont know whats happening at this point. Long story short hes probably petrified and he's too big for the plastic rat traps (humaine of cause) we bought. Need some help on where to get decent sized ones in the Norwich norfolk area.

Thank you
Sincerly Terrified rat owner :)

*Note: This thread has been split from the topic originally posted in to try and attract helpful replies sooner

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Escaped rat. Ideas for catching

Post by Rhian33 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:34 pm

I would first say don't panic, keep the room door shut at all times and go and make yourself a cuppa. You will get him out.

I would get a tube or igloo etc and put it near his hidey hole with some smelly yummy food and sit quietly near it. He will hopefully come out because he smells it. Failing that put his cage close with the door open and he may run back to it.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

pearly135

Post by pearly135 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks Rhian33 its comforting to know (by reading through the posts) im not the only person this has happened to. In the end he was just so scared he didnt want to come out at all so we just had to be quick and we did catch him in the end! He is safe and with his brothers feed and watered woo i'm so happy

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Glad he is home. It is a horrible feeling and you feel all panicky but what a relief knowing he is back.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Other care”