Question about varieties please

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Bob34

Question about varieties please

Post by Bob34 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi,

I'm currently looking at getting a pair of male rats for our family and have read some articles about some varieties being prone illnesses. For example I heard white rats with black eyes are prone to be poorly and so are split caps.

Is this true and if so would you be wary of getting a Russian buff or a split cap Russian blue?

My kids are really looking forward to getting these so I'm just making sure it doesn't end sadly to early.

Thanks for your help.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Question about varieties please

Post by Rhian33 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:17 pm

You said before you were looking for a breeder. I would suggest you have a conversation with your chosen breeder about any health problems in their lines. That's a much more reliable way of finding out.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Bob34

Post by Bob34 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:54 pm

I intend to thank you. I just like doing a bit of research before so I can ask the right questions and have a good conversation.

Plus she's been really nice and I didn't want to bother her with anymore silly questions, goodness knows I've asked quite a few so far :)

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Black eyed whites can be prone to a form of epilepsy, in theory if there's enough white on them it may affect capped too but I've not come across specific issues with caps.

In terms of Russian buff, this expresses a gene called Red Eyed Dilute (one I am currently working with) and rats expressing it will have varying degrees of blood platelet storage pool deficiency. This typically means that there blood may not clot as quickly as others (it makes the platelets less sticky!). its very much a scale, so some rats are very badly effected, others not at all. Your breeder should have ideas about how her family performs, and ideally she will also do occasional clotting tests. I would recommend anyone with a red eyed dilute rats (buff, topaz or associated colours) asks there vet to carry one of these out prior to any none emergency surgery or birthing, if there clotting is very poor you would not risk putting the rat through something as they could bleed out.

There are more if your interested but not relevant to the two your talking about.

I would ask her about typical health issues in her lines, what to expect etc. I am always really happy when an owner asks that as it shows they are interested. Its also a good warning sign if someone says that the rats they breed don't have any (all rats die of something, and it shows poor records or a lack of real interest). Most good breeders are also happy to answer many questions, to be fair I do it for pleanty of people who aren't even on my waiting list or have rats from me lol, but its more important if the person is. Its in your best interest to help your babies home be as knowledgable as possible.

Bob34

Post by Bob34 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks a lot for the great advice everyone. I had a chat with the breeder who put my mind at ease so will be picking them up in a couple of weeks. Very excited :)

Return to “Other care”