Rats in transit!

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Onthewires

Rats in transit!

Post by Onthewires » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Just wanted to ask a few questions about the stresses of moving rats long distance and whether or not its the right descision. I'm currently at university in Norwich, a good 2-3 hours from my home in the south-east, and am planning on transporting my 3 middle aged boys and 6 month old girl up to uni with me, as my parents are struggling with the commitment (and I absolutely miss them to bits).

The plan is to have them with me during term time, and then during holidays I'll take them with me back home for a week or two. There is also a chance that if it doesn't work out/I have any complaints from my housemates, they'll have to go back home anyway. They are getting adequate care with my family, being fed and cleaned and handled most days, but due to my mum's work commitments, they don't get huge amounts of out of cage time. My issue is, although they would probably be happier living with me long-term, I don't know if its fair to ferry them back and forth all the time, especially as they've been settled in my house so long.
They would have a cage here, and a cage at home, and would be being ideally dropped off by car but may occasionally have to come with me on the train.

I just wanted to get some opinions - is it cruel for me to shift them around so much, even if they'd be happier with me at university? Or would they adjust to moving from place to place? One of my biggest fears is that the stress of moving will impact their health in some way. I'd be really grateful for any comments, I really want to do what's best for them, even if it means I have to leave them at home full time
Leah

acapae_wolf

Re: Rats in transit!

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:37 pm

It's fine. I did Aberdeen/ London by train repeatedly with a group of girls during my last year of uni. The only real thing I did was to take a stinky bed from one end and set it up at the other end for familiarity - but that was mostly because I had 2 more nervous rescues in the group.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:38 pm

I've never found rats to get overly stressed by travelling (though obviously it's down to the individuals). I've frequently ferried rats on 1-3hr train journeys, and they generally just sleep through it or have a good nose at what's going on. Any stress they did go through would be short-term anyway, they should bounce back well from it!
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 am

They will get used to both their homes - they won't forget their previous one, so after they've had a spell at uni they will remember your parent's house, and then remember uni again when you return. The journeys themselves will be no problem, even if you go by train. :luck:

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 am

Thank you so much for your replies, it's really put my mind at ease! I know from having taken mine to the vets occasionally that they tend to quite quickly fall asleep in a carrier, but I was never sure if it was a stress thing or not.

I'm planning on getting them a new carrier for easier transport as they currently travel in a hamster cage (which probably wouldn't go down well on the train!) Would a normal cat carrier be okay? Should I be covering it to give them a bit of security?
Leah

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 pm

It might depend on your rats, but mine love travelling - all the new smells and sounds, and they are keen to meet people through the bars. :)
I would recommend a marchioro clipper because it's sturdy and has an opening roof, but you will need to mesh the door for kittens or small does. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ates/13606

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll just have to see how they get on. The boys aren't particularly people orientated, but my doe, Bea, will probably want to have a nose about so I'll definitely have to mesh the front if I go with the clipper! I'm going to have a look about and see what I can get second hand, as I'm a bit tight for cash at the moment, but the opening lid looks really convenient, I'll definitely check it out.
Leah

Return to “Other care”