Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: been a long time, some advice needed
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:58 pm 

Hi doubt anyone will remember me, not been on this forum for about a year and a half, probably posting this in the wrong place... Ive got 4 girls, 2 of which are nearly 2 (Holly and Daisy) and the other two are a year and a half (Bella and Nikita) Both Bella and Nikita have quite large mammary tumours, had them at the vet a few months back and was told there wasnt anything they could do, decided to bring them home adapt the cage so they could move around easier and we'd put them to sleep once they began to struggle. That day has come. Bellas is a lot larger than nikitas and walking is a struggle for her, shes not able to groom herself. Just discovered Nikita has a wound on hers, wasnt there yesterday, its dried blood and shes still eating and drinking but shes struggling now too. Taking them to the vet in the morning, i was putting off taking bella but Nikita really cant wait. Although her wound is no longer bleeding and she seems ok right now I still need to get it seen to in case of infection... Ive decided to take them both together in the morning, it breaks my heart.

That will leave me with Holly and Daisy. I wont be getting more rats, ive got a 6mo baby (which i didnt think was possible when i first got my girls) my husband wanted to rehome all four girls once our son came along cos as you know they are a lot of work. But they are part of the family so i told him they stay but we dont get any more. The plan before was once i got down to two rats id get 2 babies so if anything happened i wouldnt be left with a lone rat. I cant do that anymore. My other 2 girls are healthy so im not expecting anything to happen in the near future but just looking for some advice on what to do. Do i try and rehome both girls together so they have each other for support when being rehomed? Do i get someone lined up for when i am left with just one? Or do i do nothing and when i only have one girl left just spend as much time with her as possible? Please dont jump on me if you think ive done something wrong or suggested something stupid, i love my girls and try my best with them but these were my first rats, ive never done this before and im just trying to do right by them

Owned by my beautiful little rattie girls Holly, Daisy :girly: Nikita and Bella :dumbobaby:
And my canine buddies, black lab Shadow and little yorkie Alvin a.k.a :hearts: Little n Large :hearts:

Post subject: Re: been a long time, some advice needed
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:45 am 

I think a few of us have been in the same position. It is an awkward position to be in. It really does depend how you feel, you can either rehome them now, or later or rehome one if you are left with one. I was left with 2 girls and was going to rehome them but that fell through so I kept them. They both got to a point I thought they would have to be pts together but the vet wanted to let misty carry on, so I was left with one girl who I could rehome due to medical reasons. She was OK by herself, considering. I think I would be tempted to rehome earlier so they could hopefully integrate into a group easier. But it really is a personal thing to decide.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 am 
Fancy Rats Team

rattienewbie wrote:
Both Bella and Nikita have quite large mammary tumours, had them at the vet a few months back and was told there wasnt anything they could do, decided to bring them home adapt the cage so they could move around easier and we'd put them to sleep once they began to struggle. That day has come.

I'm surprised the vet said that, are they not experienced in removing lumps? Now that you've reached the point where pts is the only other option, I would definitely recommend getting a good vet to at least try to remove the lumps - if they can't then from the rats' pov it's the same as pts, but if they can, then they could have another 6 months or more, so worth a shot if you can find a confident vet.

However, once you are down to two rats, whenever that may be, I would rehome them together as it will make the process easier for them.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:17 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I too would suggest rehoming the last 2 when you are down to a pair. I haven't been in this position but have adopted rats from friends when they were down to their last 2 and unable to get more for whatever reason. It worked really well for those guys and much less upheaval than losing their only friend and having to adjust to a new home and new rats in a short period of time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care