Baby rats

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Aaronriley

Baby rats

Post by Aaronriley » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 am

I recently bought 2 rats from a pet shop and then 10 days after one gave birth to 11 babies, 2 died within the first day which I expected, but when I went to check on them this morning (day 3) there was only 3 left, I have no idea where the others have gone. Is this my fault? She is only a young rat, about 13/14 weeks old herself. How do I prevent the last 3 surviving ones from dying? I hope someone can help me, thanks.

[cub]

Re: Baby rats

Post by [cub] » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:07 am

I have no idea how to care for newborn rats; hopefully someone else who knows more than me will come along shortly! But before you do anything else please double-check that both rats you bought are actually female. There's a guide to sexing rats here: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Gem_xxx

Post by Gem_xxx » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Have you separated the mum? She needs to be in a birthing tank or small cage. Too much space may mean she is too highly stressed to properly nurse the kittens.

Sometimes kittens do pass away in the first few days - mum will have cleaned up the best. Have they got white lines across their bellies, can you see her feeding them?
Gemstone Rattery
www.gemstone.vze.com (also on facebook!)

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Has she got plenty of loose substrate to build her nest with? If not, then be sure to give her lots. If you need to move her, then transfer it all with her.

Also, make sure she's getting sufficient nutrition for her own growth as well as her babies'. See this article for guidance.

Return to “Other care”