Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: mama acting mental after cleaning cage
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:13 pm 

I got Xena about a month ago. She is very young and small but low and behold she was pregnant :? She gave birth yesterday and from what ive seen has been a wonderful mom. Her cage had been long overdue for a cleaning so I just cleaned it and changed her bedding. I safely placed mama first then all her babies on a piece of fleece outside her cage. I cleaned it and returned them to the cage and now she Is going absolutely mental frantically running around the cage and climbing the bars. I saw no harm in cleaning her cage but is she angry because I "ruined" her nest? Ive tried showing her to her babies and that theyre all there but she wont stop?

Post subject: Re: mama acting mental after cleaning cage
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:18 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I'm guessing she was grateful for the clean and was just checking out what had changed as it smelled different. I'm sure she'll settle. I wouldn't worry. It's normal for rats to go nuts exploring when you clean their cage.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 am 
Fancy Rats Team

When my mums are due to give birth, I put them into a clean cage, and then don't clean them out for two weeks even though it gets smelly. When I do clean it, I still leave a handful of old nest material so that the babies will know where home is.

I suspect Xena was panicking because her nest had gone - if you can access any of her old substrate, I would put a few handfuls in next to her new nest. Not just to reassure her, but to provide the babies with a target to head for if they accidentally get dropped outside of the nest.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Ah, thanks Mary. I had made the assumption that the nest had been retained then returned to the cage

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care