Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Rats and other pets
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:26 pm 

Hello all,

Myself and my partner are gearing up to get our first ever rats. I'm super excited about this and want to make sure I do the best I can to give my new (hopefully girls) a great home.

At the moment I have a syrian hamster. I understand that rodents are territorial, but also that hamsters are prey animals. Will getting new rats stress out my hamster or cause stree to the new rats? The rats will not be able to reach or interact with the hamster's cage at any time. Any advice or experience with that, as while I can't wait to get my beautiful new animals, Pinky is already part of the family so his health and safety comes first. Also it's completely unfair to introduce new babies into an environment that makes them tense or triggers their predetory instincts without them being able to act on it.

Thanks all

[Edited for clarification]

Post subject: Re: Rats and other pets
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:35 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Welcome to the forum and great that you are asking questions before getting your newbies :D

I, and many other forum users have had both rats and hamsters at the same time. Where I volunteer the rats share the room with all the other rodents and we have never noticed any worrying behaviour from them and as long as you ensure that the rats don't climb on the hamster cage I'm sure you won't have anything to worry about.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:45 pm 

We had our rats and hamster in the same room. Never had any problems, although the cages were on opposite sides of the room.

Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 pm 

Sounds like you've thought about it a lot already :) The only thing I'd add is that if you're thinking of free ranging the rats in the area that the hamster free ranges, is that the hamster may be a little more wary than normal to start with. On account of their smell being in a more directly in contact - but you can fairly easily smooth things over by putting different blankets down and using different free range toys for a bit. This is usually less of an issue with male hamsters though - in Syrians girls are both more likely to be put out by environmental changes, and more likely to let their feelings be known lol.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care