Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: PEW stress
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:24 pm 

One of my PEW ratties has very poor eyesight and remains quite jumpy when handling until she realises its me and even then is wary. Unfortunately she has a new grape sized mammary tumor that I noticed under her ampit. I would like some advice from other rattie owners re. whether taking her to the vets for the removal surgery would be too much for her as it would be an alien and terrifying place? Any comments gratefully received x

Post subject: Re: PEW stress
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:07 pm 

I'm sure she'd be fine; I've had near-unhandleable rodents operated on successfully.

Your PEW girl will feel much more at ease with some friends for company, so take at least one of her cagemates with her, and leave them all with the vet while she has her surgery. (This should be fine with the vet, as the whole point is for them to share a cage while they're there, so they won't be taking up any more space or resources than just the patient on her own. Pack them a lunchbox for the day and they'll be all set.) This is also a great way to get your other rats used to going to the vets, so if they need to go in for their own treatment in future, it'll feel less alien to them as they'll have already been there before.

You may also wish to consider spaying her, as most mammary tumours are hormonally driven and so spaying reduces the likelihood of their recurrence. Sometimes a vet will be able to spay at the same time as a tumour removal, so the rat only has to go through one round of surgery.

Post subject: Re: PEW stress
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:43 pm 

Thank you so much for replying!
That was a really helpful message and Ive decided to ask my vet tomorrow re. the option of spaying her at the same time and of taking her sister in with her and a little packed lunch - I'm quite excited about that part!
Hopefully the surgery will reap good results and ill have my rattie team for a long while yet :love:
Again, many thanks x

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care