When to get a new rat?

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Ems_b

When to get a new rat?

Post by Ems_b » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:05 pm

So I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post this, but I'm going to keep going. Basically, I would like to get another rat. I was speaking to my Mum about this and she said it depends what time would be right to get another. I have 2 beautiful boys already, who have had their 1st birthday on the 1st of this month :birthday:. Does any one know what the right time for me to introduce a third rat to them would be? I am thinking probably at this age, due to the fact that they are still energetic and young, though I may be very incorrect on this theory. Also, My mum has said probably having four and the 2 new ones being the same age so they aren't alone on the age side of things. But my cage may be a tad small. It is a Freddy Max or something like that. It is one of the Freddy Max cages. Any advice on this too?
Mother of two boys who are Euan and Scabbers.
Love them to pieces.

Caza66

Re: When to get a new rat?

Post by Caza66 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:51 am

According to the calculator a Freddy max will take 5 rats:-
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=175
If your other rats are 12 months old, I would recommend getting 2 youngsters, of around 12 weeks old. That should (?) ease introductions and the youngsters will have same age company. I would follow the carrier method for introductions though.

Good luck
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Rocket, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu, Neb
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Ems_b

Re: When to get a new rat?

Post by Ems_b » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you! :D
Mother of two boys who are Euan and Scabbers.
Love them to pieces.

Return to “Other care”