Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Pregnant or not?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 pm 

So I did the cardinal sin of taking my eyes off the girls...... and forgetting the cage was open :oops: I know stupid of me.

I had the boys out and roaming and turned around to find Elvira and Gomez having fun.

Elvira's Heat cycle is like clockwork every 5 days (Ive never had a female do the ear dance - I had over 20 - so I find the ear dance funny) and she hasn't come into heat again, her behaviour has changed (not aggressive) I read they go off males too so held her to the boys cage and she acted like they didnt exist!! :shock: Normally she is eager to go the there cage to sniff through the bars.

So I am pretty sure she is..... but does anyone know of other signs other that golf ball belly :lol: :lol:
She will be a week this Thursday if she is...

And just to answer anyone's worries... ill keep them all, I live next to a vet who between my first and last visit looked up about rat care/medicine :hearts: and it showed, the boys cage is big enough to house the newbies and the girls cage is being updated in the next week and will be able to hold more, I am already feeding her as if she was pregnant.

Post subject: Re: Pregnant or not?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:43 pm 

I have no idea about pregnant rats but this article might be helpful: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=71
As might all the articles in this section: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=15

It sounds like if she's been due a heat and she hasn't had it, she's probably pregnant. Apparently you should avoid overfeeding her though, to help prevent birthing problems: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:56 pm 

Thank you for the reply :D

She was in heat too the day it occurred, was hoping maybe the next day she would come into heat but still no sign and you can normally time her exactly.

Food wise I haven't greatly increased but I have added a couple of things occasionally.... some baby food, Raw Carrots and cooked chicken.

Her mum has become quite protective of her too... curling up with her more etc. These three are a mum and her two daughters, absolutely darling family =) Who were not cared for to a standard Id like and were about to be snake food as mum was considered aggressive. She wasn't she was test nipping and pinching myself hurts more xD plus I feel she wasnt too well due to abnormal amount of Red mucus.... baytril and metacam treated :D 85e a visit xD I miss £15 of UK prices

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Yes, she is highly likely to be pregnant. As it's early days, if you can find a vet who will prescibe galastop then that may mean you can avoid the litter.

Otherwise, you can expect the babies to be born around the 22nd (that's a Saturday, so hopefully all will go well and you won't need to seek emergency weekend vet care!), so move her into a birthing cage on the 20th.

Don't feed her any extras - baby food (human?) is pointless for rats, and increased protein from the chicken is not good, it could lead to overlarge babies and complications during birth. Extra veggies are always fine, make sure she has some leafy greens such as curly kale too.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm 

Ahh =) Yeah I managed to work out due date.... me too its 200e just to be seen on an emergency vet appointment here.

I read give them chicken..... ok good job it was only a small piece I gave them :D

Ill go shopping for more veggies tomorrow after work =) found out my boys hate carrots though xD
Curly kale... that will be my priority.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care