Should I get 3 rats or is a group of 4 better?

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
RubyDG

Should I get 3 rats or is a group of 4 better?

Post by RubyDG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I am looking to purchase my first rats and want more than 2 as I feel it would be nicer for the rats and, not to be morbid, but should the worst happen to one of them I would not be in the situation of dealing with a lone rat. The question is then if I should start with a group of 3 or 4?

I don't feel that there is likely to be much difference for me between having 3 or 4 with regards to things like cost and time but as a first time owner I am thinking a smaller number is probably prudent. So what I am concerned about is how stable a group of 3 rats would be? Are they more likely to fight or have issues? Is a group of 4 likely to be a more stable balanced group? I'd appreciate any feedback from all of you experienced owners out there! :D

Caza66

Re: Should I get 3 rats or is a group of 4 better?

Post by Caza66 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:41 am

As a start I would recommend 3 rats. 4 is also a good number but you may need to think in terms of vet bills, if you have rats all the same age, there is a possibility that vet visits may be more numerous at the same time. I know you may still have the same problem with 3 but it is slightly lessened. If you get 3 as a start you could always add another 2 in 6 months time so long as you have a big enough cage. :luck:
My current gang :hearts: Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

I agree, start with a trio and then add another pair or trio later on to keep the group rolling forwards. :luck:

RubyDG

Post by RubyDG » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm glad to hear that 3 is a good number for a group, I wouldn't mind 4 of course but as a first time owner I think I'm going to take it slow, as it is I'm sweating about how I'm going to keep an eye on 3 little fur monsters at the same time :lol: ! I'm used to hamsters rather than rats so dealing with group dynamics/hierarchy is all new to me!

Return to “Other care”