Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: possible pregnant rat
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 pm 

hi i know this is my first post and i am sorry it is a question and advice needed. i already have female rats and she is in with them at the moment (intros went very well) but i was told when i got her she came in mixed in with boys so its a possibility(yes it was a spur moment kind of thing) i didn't go to buy ratties but i have, so no ifs buts or whatnots they are here to stay and the cage is big enough for them all. i'm not sure on the amount of time it takes or what to look for i have had her a little over a week. so what do i need?

what should i be looking for?
a new cage for her and the babies? which one or best size?
a cage to separate them if she is and when?
i have been reading about feeding so already make up my own mix, they get fresh food daily

my cage is a Savic Suite Royal XL and only has 7 girls in it
if i can't find homes for them then i will keep them, i have a ratty fund set up so can pay for vet fee's and anything else that may come up. just need to know what i need to do/get for her

Post subject: Re: possible pregnant rat
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:25 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

There are a lot of threads covering this topic in the recent archive - here, so it's worth reading through to absorb all the advice given, and there are some articles in the information section, but very briefly...

Pregnancy lasts about 23 days, so if there are no babies once you've had her for 25 days, you should be okay.
Don't feed her more than normal while she is pregnant.
The best style of birthing cage is a low barred one such as a ferplast mary, an alaska, or a grovesnor, move her into it when she starts to swell up like an orange. Provide lots of bedding materials (shredded cardboard, straw, tissue, etc.) for her to make a nest with when she's ready to, but don't put any accessories in.
When the babies start to move about (2 weeks) then you can add things for them to explore and climb on, as well as a toilet corner.
Once they reach 3 - 4 weeks you can move them into a larger cage.
Split the sexes at 4.5 weeks (because the genetics are unknown).
Don't home any until they have finished their kitten moult, going from soft baby fluff to shiny smooth coats, probably some time between 6 and 8 weeks.

If you'd prefer not to raise the litter, then you could ask a vet for galastop which would cause her to reabsorb.

Good luck, and feel free to ask further questions on here. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post subject: Re: possible pregnant rat
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm 

thank-you i will order a cage today just in case i have lots of shredded paper and bedding. i will have a read of the other section thank-you. i hope she isn't as she is still quite young around 4months i think

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care