Rat homes and interactions

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
rosiefox93

Rat homes and interactions

Post by rosiefox93 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 pm

I have 2 10 week old males purchased from a pet store 2 weeks ago . This is my first time owning rats.
I have found them to be very playful with each other, some signs of dominating each other but nothing concerning.
However, when I have their house in the cage for them they stop approaching me when i enter and open the cage and remain in their house, not even moving for treats.
I removed the house for a few days and they slept in their (ment to be) litter tray - however have not yet started litter training. They appeared to be investigating the rest of their cage ALOT of more and myself and accepting treats and coming out of the cage and being held with no concerns, after this i have now put the house back in as their confidence seemed to have grown, but they have retreated back to not approaching myself or investigating the cage. They do not seemed scared or act in any way aggressive but do not leave the house very often and dont accept treats!
Shall i keep the house in and leave them alone until they come out or just take it out and keep it out?
They have hammocks and tubes to hide in which they used when the house was removed but not while it is in.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thankyou!

Caza66

Re: Rat homes and interactions

Post by Caza66 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 am

Hi and welcome. I would take the house out, and also take out tubes and just leave in hammocks and ropes and just give them time. But it sounds like they are doing fine.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

rosiefox93

Re: Rat homes and interactions

Post by rosiefox93 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks il take it out! They just stay in it and don't investigate when the house is in but are really approachable and inquisitive when it's not.

Return to “Other care”