Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Do I need a vet???
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 pm 

My rat recently developed an ear infection, which I treated her daily with baytril(?) and she appeared to be getting better. However when I got home today she had what looks like blood around her nose, and squeaks every time my other rats tries to groom her or when I pick her up. Normally she doesn’t do either of these, unless her and the other rat are playing. I was wondering if this is serious? And if I should consult a vet or try something else first?

Post subject: Re: Do I need a vet???
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:36 am 

Sorry she is feeling unwell. It’s porphyrin, not blood. All rats have this but they usually wipe it off before you see it. When you see it it’s because they are not feeling well enough to groom or whatever is making them unwell is producing porphyrin in excess. When you had her on baytril what doseage was she on, it is possible that it wasn’t high enough to completely get rid of the problem.

Post subject: Re: Do I need a vet???
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm 

Caza66 wrote:
Sorry she is feeling unwell. It’s porphyrin, not blood. All rats have this but they usually wipe it off before you see it. When you see it it’s because they are not feeling well enough to groom or whatever is making them unwell is producing porphyrin in excess. When you had her on baytril what doseage was she on, it is possible that it wasn’t high enough to completely get rid of the problem.

It was giving and still am giving 0.2ml every 24 hours as recommended to me by her size

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care