Possibly pregnant rat!

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Kaykay87

Possibly pregnant rat!

Post by Kaykay87 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm

So I bought my single rat a friend, we have had her 2 weeks. She was tiny when i got her, apparently 6 weeks old and in a mix sex group. Both rats I have are definitely female.
While playing today I noticed that my newest rat has a rather big, full feeling belly. Is there any way to tell if she's pregnant before I go see a vet and possibly waste time cause she's just a little fatty?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Possibly pregnant rat!

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 pm

It's not easy to tell whether a rat is pregnant until very close to their due date (total gestation is usually 23 days), and actually unless the vet is experienced with an ultrasound, they may not be able to tell anyway. Since you've already had her for over two weeks, there won't be long left.

If you can post a picture of her standing up, or climbing up the cage bars, then we can see what we think.

If she is, you will need a separate low level maternity cage for her, plus a second larger cage when splitting the sexes at 4.5 weeks. If she came from a pet shop, then they ought to supply these cages for free, but don't promise to give them any kittens back in return.

Hoping she's just well fed!

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:49 am

I have a pic but I'm struggling with imagr atm, basically she is smaller in body size than my other girl, est 8 weeks old, but her belly feels bigger rounder and fuller than my other rat who is 12 weeks old. I only noticed when she ran up my washing line yesterday and i had to free her from some towels, i havent tried feeling it properly or anything cause if she is i don't wanna hurt the babies. I have a small cage she can gonin for birthing and will def be on to the pet shop. If there are babies I will have to look at rehoming as I will only be able to keep 2 more, and I don't have room for another big setup for the boys. This'll teach me to go to pet shops.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm

A belly that is pregnant rather than just well fed has a different shape to it. Near to the due date, you should start to see the bulge spreading around the side, like a thick belt (the uterus is horn shaped).

This girl delivered a litter of 10 a day after this picture was taken

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Update time - shes just fat!!

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Phew! Bet you’re relieved.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am

Very relieved and maybe a teeny bit sad there will be no cute ickle rat babies. Mostly relieved though lmao

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:45 pm

That's good news :)

Return to “Other care”