Male Rat Help

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Saffronmac

Male Rat Help

Post by Saffronmac » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on our situation.

We are the very proud owners of a Male rat, Luke who is 14 months old and neutered. Unfortunately his cage mate died recently leaving him alone. My husband has just adopted a rat as a companion for him but I'm not convinced that this will be a good pairing!

The new rat seems to have had a rough time as he's very nervous, and we've had a few nips from him. He's an intact male approx 1 year old. We have them in separate cages two inches apart at the moment, and we've been swapping bedding from cage to cage so far. We haven't introduced them in the bath yet. Luke seems to be actively avoiding our new comer. The new rat however is very interested in Luke! He's been climbing the bars, sniffing and lots of teeth chattering towards Luke.

I am always happy to adopt, but I was intending to get two babies as Luke's companions as I thought this would make life easier for him. My husband is a sucker for a rescue though lol.

I am very concerned that introducing a nervous intact male to our neutered softy is going to end in a blood bath and cause Luke even more upset. Has anyone successfully introduced two males of this age before? Or should we not even try?

Thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Male Rat Help

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm

It can be done, and will work in many cases, but if it doesn't, then neutering the newcomer will help.

Introduce them using the carrier method (detailed here), but give them a week to calm down by moving their cages into separate rooms, and don't switch bedding around, it'll just frustrate them because they can't meet the other rat and sort out their hierarchy. Go through the stages slowly, at least 24 hours in the carrier, and probably a good week (or more if necessary) in the hamster cage.

Return to “Other care”