Need advice on new rats

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Slweston

Need advice on new rats

Post by Slweston » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 am

Hi, I need some advice on my new pet rats. I've owned rats before, and I lost my last one last month, but I'm definitely not an expert on them.
Today I decided I was ready to buy new rats as I love owning them and it doesn't feel right not having any around.
I bought 3 that are 7 weeks old and 1 that is 9 weeks old, all Male. I was advised that they were fully integrated together and got on very well. but after around 8 hours of them being in their 'new home' the 9 week old rat started seriously attacking the 7 week old. This was not a play fight or a dominance fight, this was a 'I'm going to kill you' fight. He just tore chunks out of the 7 week olds within a matter of 10 minutes. I removed him immediately and am taking him back to where I got him, I've never seen such an aggressive behaviour before. 
The 7 week olds were very shaken and bloody, I checked them over and cleaned the cuts with saline solution, I was surprised they let me due to how shaken they were.
I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this and if it's going to affect our future relationship and how long it'll take them to trust me, as I was the one who put them in that situation. 
I just feel so guilty that this happened but so lucky that I was there to stop it as I was just about to leave for work.

Any advice will be well recieved.

Sorry it's so long but thank you if you read it all.

[cub]

Re: Need advice on new rats

Post by [cub] » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:25 am

Where did you get them from? I'm not an expert, but I get the impression that this kind of inter-rat aggression at that age is highly unusual. I wonder if the 9 week old was older than that. :? I wouldn't necessarily take him back to where he came from either, if the source is as unscrupulous as I fear it might be.

Keep an eye on the 7 week olds for any sign of infection in the wounds: redness, swelling, warmth, pus. It would also be a good idea to double-check the sexes on all of them. There's an article on that here, with photos: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

frodo quin

Re: Need advice on new rats

Post by frodo quin » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:54 pm

So terrifying! Such aggression is rare in rats and a baby so young… strange. How are they doing now?

Return to “Other care”