Female biting

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
JoJJ

Female biting

Post by JoJJ » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:44 am

Hi

I have 2 previously very sweet dumbo girls, just reaching 6 months. Have never bitten until now. Poppy is the more timid of the 2 and suddenly she has started biting when we go to stroke her. Have previously thought it was perhaps she was startled but now it is most of the time. She hasnt drawn blood yet but she means it. Have made sure hands are clean before touching her. Any ideas on how to deal with this please?

Her sister on the other hand is still as soft and daft as she was as a kitten!

Thanks

[cub]

Re: Female biting

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:18 pm

I'd get her checked by a vet just in case there's a medical problem underlying it. Otherwise I'd consider getting her spayed.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Does she only bite when she’s in the cage?

It does sound like territorial behavior and she has the age for puberty. I would do the same thing as cub and have her checked out (pain/illness can be a reason for sudden changes in behavior) and have her spayed.

I have all my females spayed at a young age to prevent health problems. It always improved behavior too, although most did not need it for that reason.

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27 pm

its funny when you google it loads of people say dont spay female rats for behaviour but when you speak to rat owners so many of them say it helps im thinking of getting it done too
im glad im not alone my girl bites too
i love her so much so its really hard!!!!!!!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:06 am

Spaying girls definitely makes a difference to them - not always for the best... I had a pet home who adored the temperament of my girls, but they liked to routinely spay for health benefits, and found that after spaying my girls lost their 'spark' which was what they'd loved so much. Of course, if the rat has a problematic 'spark' to start with, then that's a help.

Return to “Other care”