Rewarding Moments

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
jurassicprince

Rewarding Moments

Post by jurassicprince » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:04 pm

I wasn't sure where else to post this but I joined these forums at the very start of November when I first got my two boys (who are now the lights of my life).

I got them two months after my beloved hamster passed, who was the best pet I could ever have asked for. At first I was stressed, since they were skittish after a bad experience in the pet shop (will definitely be getting any future rats from good breeders) and didn't trust me at all. I had also just gotten used to the silence again after having a very loud hamster, and still cried for him every night (I'm a 19 year old with autism, and his death upset me very much because of the close bond I had with him, I'm still not fully over it). Having two male rats suddenly jumping around and playing all night was a big dive back into the life of having rodents, and it was hard at first. I was scared to touch them because THEY were scared to be touched, and I felt hopeless and like I had jumped into rat ownership too soon, emotion wise (I had a good four years of research up my sleeve so I was fine there).

Anyway, that isn't the important part.

Now, just two months later, I can already feel my bond growing with both of them. The alpha male was established just a few days after getting them, and he has bonded with me much faster than my other boy. I was worried about him, since he had the worst of it in the pet shop, but even just in the past few days he has come leaps and bounds. They seem to have figured out when I'm asleep and when I'm awake, so noise at night isn't really an issue anymore, which I wasnt TOO bothered about since I got used to it with my hamster anyway. The smaller, but more confident of the two will happily jump up all over me and let me pet him, scratch behind his ears and under his chin and even play fight with him with my hand. He also grooms my hand sometimes, which was hilarious at first but now just makes me go awww. He will also take yoghurt off of my (CLEAN!!!) finger. They don't jump when I make the smallest noise anymore, and the bigger, shyer of the pair will now even let me give him a little *boop* on the nose, and will jump up onto my arms and explore, just as long as I don't touch him. Honestly, that's more than I could have ever asked from him and I'm extremely proud of him. I love watching them climb around and figure out their foraging toys, and cuddle up with each other in their beds. And I can't wait to grow closer with them and start to teach them tricks!

The point of this post is for people who are doubting themselves with their rats, like I used to all day and all night. Change comes quickly. Your rats aren't broken, and neither are you. Love sometimes takes a while to blossom, and if you put in the time and effort with them, it will come eventually. Speak to them every chance you get. They'll run straight to you when they hear your voice. Make sure they see your hand before you pet them, if they haven't let you yet. Give them lots of treats, endure the little test bites they give you, and give them all of your love. It's so worth it when they start to come out of their shell, and show you their personality.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Rewarding Moments

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:01 am

What a lovely post, I'm so glad you are getting closer together. All rats have the potential to become wonderful companions, but it is harder when they've had a bad start in life. They've landed on their feet with you though. :love:

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:37 am

Thank you for this post, it's so lovely and heart warming :hearts:

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

A wonderful post :hearts:

Return to “Other care”