Ended up with pregnant rattie after given wrong rats

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
alradot

Ended up with pregnant rattie after given wrong rats

Post by alradot » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi all! I hope you'll babe able to to give us a hand.

My partner and I decided to get some ratties as a Christmas present for both. He's had rats in the past and had everything needed cage wise. We sewed the hammocks, we mixed our own dry food, got them toys, rope, a lovely wooden home. We were absolutely ready to bring home our new babies.

We were told by breeder we’d have 4 boys, 8 weeks old. After getting them on the 18th, and leaving them be overnight to adjust, next morning I went to check them and oh my word one of them didn’t have testicles. Took the other three out and guess what? We ended up with 3 females and 1 male.

It seemed like a good breeder, we even got the chance to look at the facilities were she keeps them and it's lovely, however we went back to her and on top of not being the rats reserved for us, it turns out they’re actually 6 weeks old. How can someone be so irresponsible?

In the end we decided to keep the females (after exchanging the male) because we were worried they’d be rehomed pregnant and not looked after properly.

Almost 3 weeks after that, we've got a very pregnant ratty (luckily just one). We put her in her birthing cage yesterday because we don’t know when she mated, but now we are entering the stage of deciding what to do with the kittens once the time for homing comes, in case all kittens are born well and grow healthy.

I don't know what would be the best course of action, I don't want to sell them to a pet shop. We are considering keeping two of them, but we already have 5 ratties and it will ultimately be about giving them quality of life.

I want to get them good forever homes, where I know they'll be happy and thrive.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Ended up with pregnant rattie after given wrong rats

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:08 pm

I hope all goes well with the birth, what a relief that the other two don't seem to be pregnant. May I ask who the breeder was?

In terms of homing, it's likely that we will still have some lockdown restrictions in 8 weeks time, but you can still home them out a bit older than that - around 10 weeks will be a good age for people who are wanting to introduce them to existing rats. Hopefully some restrictions will have eased by then.

So once you know how many of each sex you will be homing, there should be time for you to line up new homes and make arrangements for a covid-safe contactless handover.

There are some good groups on facebook which would normally allow you to advertise the kittens, but I believe they are not allowing new posts during lockdown, e.g. Rat Rescue Network UK

You could advertise them on preloved etc., but you will get a lot of unsuitable applicants, and you'd need to vet them thoroughly to weed out the bad ones. I'm sure you'd get enough who would provide a good home, but you need to be confident in saying no to the rest.

Please keep asking questions on here, I can help you with anything (I'll try to check daily), and sexing the babies accurately is of course most important, as they will need separating at 32 days old.

alradot

Post by alradot » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 pm

cyber ratty wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:08 pm
I hope all goes well with the birth, what a relief that the other two don't seem to be pregnant. May I ask who the breeder was?

In terms of homing, it's likely that we will still have some lockdown restrictions in 8 weeks time, but you can still home them out a bit older than that - around 10 weeks will be a good age for people who are wanting to introduce them to existing rats. Hopefully some restrictions will have eased by then.

So once you know how many of each sex you will be homing, there should be time for you to line up new homes and make arrangements for a covid-safe contactless handover.

There are some good groups on facebook which would normally allow you to advertise the kittens, but I believe they are not allowing new posts during lockdown, e.g. Rat Rescue Network UK

You could advertise them on preloved etc., but you will get a lot of unsuitable applicants, and you'd need to vet them thoroughly to weed out the bad ones. I'm sure you'd get enough who would provide a good home, but you need to be confident in saying no to the rest.

Please keep asking questions on here, I can help you with anything (I'll try to check daily), and sexing the babies accurately is of course most important, as they will need separating at 32 days old.
Thank you for your reply! It means a lot!

I’ve just left her alone in her cage after a good walk outside, and managed to get to pictures of her belly. Tomorrow it’ll be the 21st day she’s with us.

https://imgur.com/a/YC7uSGH
https://imgur.com/a/lmd8ARe

FluffyEyeball

Post by FluffyEyeball » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:33 pm

Just a quick update for you guys, she’s given birth! She waited until last night so we weren’t around to see it, but she’s doing exceptionally well. She’s really relaxed and is perfectly happy going back to the main cage for a little breather and is perfectly calm around us. We have 12 little ones now, all wriggling and with milk bands, and no still births!

https://imgur.com/a/GC35jgv

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:08 pm

That's great news :D

BettyRubble

Post by BettyRubble » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:09 am

Hi Fluffy!
Sorry to butt in but I got invested in your story. I am just glad that those ratties came into your life, other people could react differently, with much less heart. Thank you for being such thoughtful people with wonderful hearts and souls. I wish you the best of luck, and I will keep looking around for suitable homes for the little ones.

Return to “Other care”