Sidney's Safe House for Rats - Ipswich

Websites of rescues who help to find new homes for rats.
izzerie
Admin Aide

Sidney's Safe House for Rats - Ipswich

Post by izzerie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Sidney's Safe House for rats is a small, home run rat rescue in Ipswich, Suffolk. We do have a website (link below) but we sometimes have difficulty updating the site, so please feel free to message about our current capacity and rats in need of a forever home. We are happy to rehome to pretty much anywhere, as long as transport and home checks can be arranged :)

Our website: http://sidneyssafehouse.webs.com/

We also have a Twitter and Facebook page as well, which are often more up to date than the website!

ETA
We do operate as a rescue, the vast majority of the rats that come into us will be found new homes. The only exception to this is rats that are incredibly old and rats that have special needs, whether that be physical or behavioural; even in these cases we will still very often try to find the right home for these rats.

The number of rescue rats we can cater for at anyone time is 10-15. However as we are decreasing our own personal number this will increase.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

izzerie
Admin Aide

Re: Sidney's Safe House for Rats - Ipswich

Post by izzerie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 am

After recently reviewing our rescue work and how we operate, it has become clear that to protect the long term future of the rescue, and ensure that we can continue to help ratties long into the future, we need to make some short to medium term changes in the way we operate to be able to continue our work into the future.

The main problem that we currently face is that our home is a very small two bedroom flat which we have outgrown both personally and rescue wise. Personally, we have reached a point where my husband and I need a bigger space, and rescue wise we are very limited in the cages we can accommodate with our current rat room. In order to afford a larger house, we need to reduce our outgoings for a period to get our finances in order to fund a move. Moving to a larger home will not only benefit us personally, but will also give us larger, more flexible space in order to continue our rescue work.

The rescue is entirely funded from our own pockets and takes all our disposable income, therefore it is the only area in which we can cut back to save the money we need to move. This is very difficult for us as we are passionate about rescuing ratties and know that, in order to be able to do more in the future, we have to limit ourselves in what we can do now.

Therefore, we are going to make the following changes. We are now no longer able to take rats in for long term foster; by this we mean take in rats and keep them for an indefinite period until they find a new home. What we will provide instead is assistance to owners who need to find a new home for their rats. We are happy to:
-put out appeals for new homes
-liase between the owners and potential new homes
-vet potential new homes
-provide short term foster space (that is somewhere for the rats to stay if a home has already been secured and they need a short term "stop over" place)
-be involved in rat trains.

We may also be able to provide emergency space to those rats who are in dire circumstances or who's lives are under threat, however this will be discussed amongst my husband and I and decided upon a case by case basis; those we do take on will be sort rescue space elsewhere/new homes as an urgent priority.

I want to stress that we are NOT closing the rescue and we are still very passionate about helping unfortunate rats experience a better life, it's simply a case of realising that we have reached our current limits and in order to ensure a future for Sidney's Safe House we need to cut back now in order to expand in the future.

I hope you can all understand the situation we are in and why we are making these changes. We are hoping that we will be moving in the summer of 2014, however this is dependent on me securing a permanent, full time job (I am currently in a permanent part time position with temporary full time hours). We will keep you updated with any changes in our personal situation that directly effects the rescue.

If anyone has any questions about the above, please feel free to PM or email sidneyssafehouse@hotmail.co.uk.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Return to “Rescues”