bumblefoot

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
rattyrainbows

bumblefoot

Post by rattyrainbows » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm

HI. One of my old rats, TJ, had developed bumblefoot. He has had a 3 week course of baytril, hibiscrub washes and twice daily applications of gentian violet spray. This has largely proved ineffective. Is there anything else we can try ? Thnx in advance.

Tori30

Re: bumblefoot

Post by Tori30 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 pm

Have looked in my rat health guide as I have no experience of this. The advice in the book is:

- encourage exercise
- use a dry wound powder or purple spray twice a day
- suggests vetbed
- not to use tissue or paper as substrate
- topical antibiotic may be needed
- tea tree oil with a plaster dressing

Also suggests that any treatment may be needed to continue for months, so maybe a longer course of antibiotics might be needed.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

rattyrainbows

Post by rattyrainbows » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 pm

HI, thanks for that. He is already on vetbed and not overweight. Due to his age he is not as mobile as he used to be but does still enjoy a wander about on the bed with us. I suggesetd a longer course of anti-biotics to vet, but she wasn't too keen on the idea. I suggesetd doing 2 weeks on anti-biotics and a week off perhaps and she said she would think about it if there was no improvement on his current treatment. I was very lucky where we used to live that we had an exotics vet. Now we live up here its almost like taking a step back in time as regards somethings. During the course of our consultation I mentioned that TJ was old at 2 1/2 years. She said not at all, rats can live up to 9 years. I said maybe if they are coypu or gambian pouched rats, but she said no fancy rats :lol: She got quite aggressive about, saying she was a vet so she should know. I couldn't be bothered to get into a battle over it.

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Having said goodbye to.two of my beautiful boys before they got to two, I wished they lived for 9 years.

That book says bumblefoot often caused by staph aureus, so you could try asking for some fucidin ointment for it, or a prescription for it - it might help.

Also rat guide suggests clavamox antibiotic so maybe a change in antibiotics might help too.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 am

Doh, what an idiot! So long as what she prescribes is useful I wouldn't be too worried about the health care service she'll provide - although possibly could be an issue if she's going to get so pasive aggressive :shock: Where abouts are you? Perhaps someone can suggest a vet/ practice who're more open to customer input.

I'm not really sure on what else you could try, and you seem to be already doing all the things I'd reccomend! It could be worth trying another AB though - especially one you can apply directly. Baytril is broad-spectrum, but a single AB can't cover absolutely every bacterial infection out there, and I'm not sure how easy it is for the drug to penetrate the bumbles internally in regards to blood supply. Not sure what to suggest, but I know you can apply co-amox and clindamycin topically (people use them topically on abscesses).

Managing/ treating bumblefoot is often a slow/ longterm thing though, so I wouldn't get too disheartened with regards to the length of time you're currently looking at.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

LindaLakota

Post by LindaLakota » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:33 pm

My boy has had bumblefoot for a looooong time now. he is the only one with it out of my nine and no matter what i have tried for whatever amount of time the bumble foot is always there. Their is just no budging it. But he is fot and healthy, not overweight and we just cant seem to make it go away. Dont get too disheartened as a lot of people have mentioned they think it may be a genetic thing too. The only rats ive ever had health problems with were two brothers who were always the ones when it came to bumblefoot,lumps, absesses and all sorts which im pretty sure was down to bad inbreeding. Just keep treating it to control it other than getting rid of it. Good luck.

rattyrainbows

Post by rattyrainbows » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I read that it could be genetic. His brother doesn't have it. He has myco, but TJ doesn't have myco.

KCW09

Post by KCW09 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello all,

I know this is an oldish thread.. I've not been here in ages :-(

Bumble foot... my girl had one.. vet gave her anti biotics and metacam.... no help at all...
so as I am qualified in herbal medicine I turned to herbs for help...

I used Calendula Tincture to bathe the bumble every evening and used a Calendula and Carrot cream.. amazing.. that ol' bumble faded away.. leaving just a pinkish mark where it used to be...

I still bathe my girl's foot every night with Calendula Tincture as a preventative.. to be honest, she rather likes all the extra fuss.. :)

I can post a simple formula to make the Carrot & Calendula cream.. my one is more complicated but a simple formula will work fine and easy enough for anyone to make..
Calendula tincture you can get from any herbal suppliers.. might even be able to get it from the various Chinese Herbal Medicine shops dotted around the country.

Calendula is a godsend for ratties.. heals all bites, scratches, sores.... .all rattie lovers should grow them in the garden.

Sometimes, nature has all the answers :hearts:
My beloved girlies: Lucy, Angela, Daphne, Sarah, Yazzy Min, Jennifer & Saffron.

absolute_twaddle

Post by absolute_twaddle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

My mum treated Wally's bumblefoot with epsom salt baths twice a day. Or try holding a cloth or tissue soaked in the solution (quite hot but not scalding) against the affected foot for a minumum of 5 minutes. Unfortunately Wally died of old age before it she found out if it worked. He was on antibiotics too.

My sister noticed the start of bumblefoot on one of her chickens and tried this and it cleared up nicely.

I've also heard diluted grapefrut seed extract applied topically can also help.

HansMischief

Post by HansMischief » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Ask your vet for Vetalintex Hydrogel. I had an old rat with terrible bumblefoot and it sorted it out in no time at all, I was amazed.

I put the gel on then stick a plaster over the top for the first few days.

Good luck :luck:
Hannah Johnsen

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 pm

:lol: :lol:
I just tried to post about this case Hannah, and it somehow deleted itself!
This old lad was at the end of his life and Hannah very kindly took him on to give him a lovely last few weeks. His Bumblefoot was severe and I was astonished to see his feet improve a week later beyond recognition!
Very interesting as the usual school of thought is to keep it dry.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:34 pm

PS - You can get Vetalintex from Viovet without a prescription.
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Non-Prescriptio ... egory.html
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

Return to “Health”