What's wrong with Andrea?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
kookenhaken

What's wrong with Andrea?

Post by kookenhaken » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello

I noticed that my perfectly healthy 23 month old Andrea was very quiet at the weekend - she shares a rat room with her sister Molly and they're always very busy.

I thought she was just having a lazy weekend and I was missing her being awake when I went up to spend some time with them.

On Monday I took her out of her bed and she didn't look good at all - sucking in her sides, lethargic and her eyes half-shut. She just sits there looking unhappy with her chest making a clicking noise. I think she's got a chest infection but she isn't really responding. I've been trying to give her Baytril but she doesn't seem to want anything. She's moving round ok but just isn't herself.

Should I just leave her if she's just poorly and ensure she gets plenty of water?

Andrea is a very fit, strong girl so it's so out of character

anyone got any ideas?

thank you

soopheh

Re: What's wrong with Andrea?

Post by soopheh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Sorry to hear about Andrea. :( Is she eating anything at all? Most rats won't take Baytril willingly, so it's a good idea to try and mix it with something yummy and tempting to take the bad taste away. If she won't even take it like that, you might have to resort to syringing, but it's important to get it into her somehow. You'll want to keep encouraging her to stay hydrated too, yes. I'm sure some more knowledgable people will be along shortly to give some suggestions as to what it could be, good luck with her. :luck:
Sophie and the boys; Mikey, Donny, Bender and Fry.

Formerly Fleur.Cirocco

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 pm

She sounds like she needs an urgent or emergency vet appt to me. If she is side sucking and lethargic then she sounds like shes really quite unwell. If she's not interested in eating or taking oral meds, she would maybe benefit from an injection to help her. She probably won't get better by herself, without getting some meds into her.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

HansMischief

Post by HansMischief » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 pm

It sounds like pneumonia, which left untreated can very quickly become fatal, I would get her to the vet (or have a telephone consult with your vet) asap as baytril may not be the best AB for her, also a steroid jab should help her appetite which is very important if it is pneumonia as they use so many calories just trying to breathe, they need to eat loads to make up for it.

Try syringing the baytril directly into her mouth but be careful as you don't want to block her airways if she's already struggling. Or try mixing it with something sweet like yogurt or a bit of porridge with honey in.

The vet can also give you Bisolvon powder which you put on their food, it helps to break down mucous.

Hope she's ok, good luck.
Last edited by HansMischief on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hannah Johnsen

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

soopheh

Post by soopheh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Oops, should have mentioned vet in my response, but I had assumed a vet visit had already been made if you've got Bayril? But yes, obviously that should be your first port of call if not. :luck:

Formerly Fleur.Cirocco

kookenhaken

Post by kookenhaken » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm

thank you for the responses

She had some blueberries, yoghurt and Baytril this morning but doesn't seem that interested in food today. She has had a bit of veg the last couple of days.

It's just so weird as she went from running around everywhere to suddenly being poorly.

soopheh

Post by soopheh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Unfortunately rats can get ill and go downhill rather quickly, so please do take her to the vet asap and let us know how she gets on. :luck:

What does she normally eat, and what are her favourite foods? Keep trying different things to tempt her, foods that are soft and easy to eat like baby food sometimes have success. It's not a good sign when rats go off their food, and they can lose weight and get weaker very quickly.

Formerly Fleur.Cirocco

kookenhaken

Post by kookenhaken » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 pm

her favourite food is sweetcorn, broc, carrot and blueberries plus all the usual dry ratty food. I'll take her to the vets tomorrow and see what they say

HansMischief

Post by HansMischief » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 pm

soopheh wrote:Unfortunately rats can get ill and go downhill rather quickly, so please do take her to the vet asap and let us know how she gets on. :luck:

What does she normally eat, and what are her favourite foods? Keep trying different things to tempt her, foods that are soft and easy to eat like baby food sometimes have success. It's not a good sign when rats go off their food, and they can lose weight and get weaker very quickly.
This is exactly right and I would urge you to take her to the vet now. Rats are domesticated wild prey animals and as such they are programmed to hide any signs of weakness (because in the wild they would quickly be picked off and eaten if they seemed vulnerable). For this reason, we often do not realise that our rats are poorly until they are feeling very ill and so we must act as quickly as possible when we notice symptoms.
Hannah Johnsen

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

-rattylove-

Post by -rattylove- » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:21 am

HansMischief wrote:This is exactly right and I would urge you to take her to the vet now. Rats are domesticated wild prey animals and as such they are programmed to hide any signs of weakness (because in the wild they would quickly be picked off and eaten if they seemed vulnerable). For this reason, we often do not realise that our rats are poorly until they are feeling very ill and so we must act as quickly as possible when we notice symptoms.
Yes please go as soon as possible. I've only experienced something like this once but once is more than enough! One of mine went from running around and seemingly ok (although I knew there was already something wrong, he was on meds.. But had only heard a few noises before,thought he was getting better!) to gasping, puffiness and not eating and drinking. He should have gone to the vets for oxygen therapy (the vet later told me) but I had no way of getting there at the time it was so the poor thing had to suffer :( I was honestly preparing myself for the worst, didn't think he was going to make it. He did thank God!!

I never would have thought he could get to that extreme by looking ok an hour before!

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:40 am

It definitely sounds like acute pneumonia, it does just onset in hours, and unfortunately is more often fatal than not. It needs prompt treatment as early as possible with combination antibiotics, so you have both broad spectrum and more aggressive myco specific coverage. It's one of the situations where antibiotic injections are a good idea as it gets the drug absorbed the quickest.

soopheh

Post by soopheh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 pm

How's Andrea doing today? Did you get her to the vets?

Formerly Fleur.Cirocco

kookenhaken

Post by kookenhaken » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 pm

She was booked in at the vet this afternoon but I'm afraid that she died 10 minutes after I got home from work. She'd waited for me to get home so she could say 'goodbye' :rattyrainbow:

Just can't believe it - she was so strong and healthy and had never been poorly before.

thank you for all your advice

soopheh

Post by soopheh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. :( It's awful to see them go downhill so quickly. Is Molly coping okay so far?

Formerly Fleur.Cirocco

-rattylove-

Post by -rattylove- » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm

So sorry :cry:

Return to “Health”