Yet more questions about resp issues...

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
beccalociraptor

Yet more questions about resp issues...

Post by beccalociraptor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't really know where to start here, haha

Before I adopted my three boys, they spent quite a long time in the ISO room at the Pets At Home where I work. They were brought in because their previous owner was moving house, and Thor had a particularly bad respiratory infection at the time. Technically, we're not allowed to take on sick animals, but for some reason (and I thank my lucky stars every day) they were. Thor had been previously been treated for said infection, but I'm not 100% sure what he was being treated with. He was put on a course of Baytril (which I think was 0.2ml once a day, but I can't remember for sure) when he came into us, but his chest seemed to get worse and worse and, like I said in my intro post, I had a week off work and was really worried that he wouldn't be with us by the time I returned. Thankfully, he was - and by the time I was back, he'd been put onto a different course of antibiotics. I don't know how much of that he was getting, nor can I remember what it was called - it smelled like marzipan, if that helps, haha.

Anyway, by this point, they'd been with us for about 3 weeks to a month, and Thor's breathing wasn't getting any better. Teamed up with being stuck in a small cage with his two cagemate and the smell of other poorly critters around him, I'm fairly sure the stress of it all wasn't helping.

It was at this point that Thor's breathing started to improve - the new antibiotics were doing something and he and his cage mates went to their foster home. By this point I'd decided I wanted them , and my parents wouldn't let me have any more animals so Shelley and David kindly offered to look after them for me until I could take them. Anyway, they carried on the course of antibiotics until it had finished and Thor was pretty much an entirely new rat. Apart from a few sniffles whenever you picked him up, and the occasional sneeze, he was nowhere near the rattly, coughing ball of sadness he had been before. He's just gotten better and better since then. He still gets the occasional sneeze from time to time, and a bit snuffly after he's woken up or been playing for a longer period of time, but apart from that, he seems okay, so I'm not too worried at the moment.

This leads me on, rather long-windedly, to Loki, Thor's brother. Whilst they spent time at Pets At Home, Loki was fine - he didn't sneeze or sniffle, and preferred to hide in his box and refrain from showing his face more often than was necessary. As far as I know, he was also okay when he was at his foster home. When he came to live with me and my OH, he started becoming a bit sniffly. Over the first 48 hours or so, they were all doing it, so I just put it down to stress and kept a close eye one them in case it was actually something else, particularly with regards to Thor. However, since then, Thor and Odin have both calmed down, but Loki's still quite sneezy and sniffly. No chest rattle or coughing, just sniffles and sneezing. The substrate I use is Bio-Catolet, they're being fed on the Shunamite diet and they aren't living in a particularly dusty room. I should also have mentioned a bit earlier that Loki and Thor are both about 15 months old or so, and Odin is approx. 9 months. It doesn't seem to be too serious at the moment, so I don't know whether I should rush him to the vet or just wait and see how he fares once I've cleaned them out this week.

Any advice would be fantastic :)

Thanks in advance :D
Becca. The Rats - Simon - Toby - William - Mole - Finn - Frog -
Thor, Odin & Loki at The Bridge <3
The Mice - Theodore - Hermes - Harley -

Tori30

Re: Yet more questions about resp issues...

Post by Tori30 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:55 pm

I know some people don't like using biocatolet as I think it is fragranced and can irritate some rats. So maybe it is worth thinking about changing your substrate especially if you are the bio-catolet over the base of the entire cage, as Loki might be sensitive to the biocatolet. that being said, I use it, but only in their litter trays, and I have never had a problem with it.

I am not sure how long Odin has been with you, and I think new home sneezes usually clear up within a few days. I think it might be worth getting him checked at a vet, my boy has just been started on antibiotics for being snuffly and sneezy.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd guess the second antibiotic was zithromax - it's flavoured artificial cherry which does come out vaguely marzipany, and it is good for resp issues. Can't think what else it would be as septrin is banana, and I think synulox is usually strawberry, while baytril and doxy aren't flavoured. Other possibility is cephalexin - not sure what flavour that is.

I'd dump the biocatolet and replace it with unscented pellets (which I can never rememebr the name of). I never had issues with it, but if you've got resp problems, may as well stay on the safe side.

However, I'd also get him checked by a vet, as persistent upper resp problems can turn into pneumonia quite quickly.

beccalociraptor

Post by beccalociraptor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:44 pm

It was either zithromax or septrin. It smelled pretty good anyway :lol: Definitely tasted better than Baytril. That stuff is foul, man.

Hmm, changing the substrate will certainly be my first port of call. I don't have much left now, which worked out pretty well, so I'll put what remains in their litter tray. I have some shredded paper that I'll cover the base with, but that'll run out soon and I don't have much access to more. What does anyone recommend?

Thanks very much everyone :D

Rattycake

Post by Rattycake » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:38 pm

I use finacard and the paper pellets and bedding they provide too. It's a huge hit with my girls who used to sniffle and chirp until I got them off Carefresh. They love the big chunks that are in the bale too!

beccalociraptor

Post by beccalociraptor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Ooh, sounds good! That's the one that looks like cardboard, right? Do you know whereabouts I can get it from, or is it an online jobby?

Rattycake

Post by Rattycake » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 pm

The finacard site itself does a fantastic deal. The owner is a member on here, so you could PM him to ask for a free sample. If you order from RatRations though, you can buy from there to fill up the "dead weight" on your delivery charges. If delivery costs £6.00 for 1-4kg and you only order 2kg, you could buy 2kg of Finacard and the postage will remain the same. Simple!

Purepsycho

Post by Purepsycho » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am

Hey becca, we had them on shredded paper with Biocatolet just in the toilet so definately try changing the substrate thats been advised already.
Loki wasn't sniffly or sneezy at all whilst he was with us so I hope its just him adjusting to changes and it settles down soon :)
Shelley; DW Fozzy Joker Badger Tricky Baileys Jack Billy Roland Sirius Orion Perseus Sorrel Teasel Ash & Rowan. The girls: Minuit Rosie Pippin Tog Pogle & Fenn - And all my many many loved furries at the bridge, never forgotten in our hearts xx

SadakoStacey

Post by SadakoStacey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 am

I use any card substrates, my favorites being Green Mile and BedXcel. You get chopped card and shredded card. I would ring round any horse supply shops in your local area and ask if anyone stocks any. If not it'll probably be an online thing - they're very cheap products, but do get considerably more expensive when you're paying postage on them, since they all weigh about 20kg!
Stacey and the residents of Honeyduke Rattery
Missing all those who had to leave
North of England Rat Society

beccalociraptor

Post by beccalociraptor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

I shall give it a go, I think :D We cleaned them out last night and replaced the biocatolet with shredded paper, so we'll see how they get on with that :) Having a look at Finacard and other bits now too, as we'll run out of shredded paper quite fast, haha. Thank you all for your help! :)

SadakoStacey

Post by SadakoStacey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

You'll find that if you only have shredded paper on the base of the cage that it'll vet very soggy and extremely stinky quite rapidly!!
Stacey and the residents of Honeyduke Rattery
Missing all those who had to leave
North of England Rat Society

Purepsycho

Post by Purepsycho » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm

SadakoStacey wrote:You'll find that if you only have shredded paper on the base of the cage that it'll vet very soggy and extremely stinky quite rapidly!!
This is very true! :lol:
Shelley; DW Fozzy Joker Badger Tricky Baileys Jack Billy Roland Sirius Orion Perseus Sorrel Teasel Ash & Rowan. The girls: Minuit Rosie Pippin Tog Pogle & Fenn - And all my many many loved furries at the bridge, never forgotten in our hearts xx

beccalociraptor

Post by beccalociraptor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Yeah, they're already starting to hum a bit. There's a bit of bio-catolet underneath it, but I didn't have very much left.

Anybody know what Yesterday's News is like? I found some bags of it in a pet shop the other day, and it says it was unscented and made from recycled paper. Is it any good?

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:32 pm

I found it very dusty, although some people do use it. I'd use biocatolet over no pellets, just because you need the absorbance, but I think the one you are looking for is back2nature.

annc

Post by annc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:22 pm

I use cardboard substrate now - usually EcoBed, as I can collect it from a local equine supplies shop (when I have a lift.)

If it is primarily upper respiratory, I'd also ask the vet for some Bisolvon - a pinch on moist food.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Return to “Health”