Preparing to say goodbye

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Catz

Preparing to say goodbye

Post by Catz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:05 pm

One of my boys Riloh has been sick alot lately. He has breathing issues, cataracts, HLD and his teeth have been growing funny and needing clipping alot. He was born in my house along with his 3 brothers and sister when my first rats we mis-sexed. I assume many of theses problems are due to been born from pet shop bought rats. He is now just over a year and today his condition took a turn for the worse. We have an appointment at 5 and I fear he wont be coming home with us. Im really in shock now. I dont want him to be pts but my OH thinks this is the best for him. It seems I only have 2 hours left with my Riloh.
I dont know if this is the right place for posting this but I just need some support. :cry:
*Ratless*
Rip Socrates, Cai, Loki, Eli, Newton, Sheldon, Sol, Riloh, Di Vinci, Pip, Squeek and Joey
1 German Shepherd (Rio) and 1 Glen of Imaal Terrier (Archer) and 1 ferret (Toki Wartooth) and 1 cat (Ike Crowly)

Muddiwarx

Re: Preparing to say goodbye

Post by Muddiwarx » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:41 pm

I shall be thinking of you - whatever happens I am sure you will do the best for your lad and I am absolutely certain that he knows how much you love him.

Catz

Post by Catz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Thank you. Hes snuggled in my arms atm asleep. He is the sweetest most gentle boy and has been so brave with his problems but today hes not eating or drinking and is limp. I feel like he's not living a full life and the vets said to bring him in to check but I doubt there is much they can do. I was there when he came into this world as a fat little pinkie and I want to do what is right for the handsome boy hes grown into.
*Ratless*
Rip Socrates, Cai, Loki, Eli, Newton, Sheldon, Sol, Riloh, Di Vinci, Pip, Squeek and Joey
1 German Shepherd (Rio) and 1 Glen of Imaal Terrier (Archer) and 1 ferret (Toki Wartooth) and 1 cat (Ike Crowly)

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm so sorry (((HUGS))) it's such a hard time, difficult decision. I usually sit in my vets waiting room in floods of tears
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm

I generally feel that you know if it is 'right' to PTS even though the decision is awfully hard to make. I know I've had a few rats that I've kept going for longer than I should have but upon reflection I realised that I was doing it to meet my needs rather than the rats needs. Deep down I find I know whether it is the right decision or not. I do find sometimes the vet is helpful with regards to talking through the decision but I generally make the decision before I book the appt.

I say my goodbyes before going into the vets and spend time talking to them and cuddling them - if they still want to eat I let them eat whatever they like. I'm not good at showing my emotions and I remain quite cold and quiet whilst in the vets and I stop myself crying whilst the PTS is happening - I also try to do this to remain strong for the rat in question (I remain present during the PTS so feel this is important). I generally burst into tears when I've left the vets.

Sorry if this comes accross as cold. I was in the same position today :(
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

Catz

Post by Catz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 pm

Hes gone to the rainbow bridge. They checked his teeth and the bottom ones had grown funny and would need him to sedated to cut which they said was very risky. Everyone was lovely and gave him a cuddle and told him how handsome he was before he went to sleep. I feel numb at the moment, I didnt cry just hugged him and told him he was being so good that there was an entire banana waiting for him at the bridge with his friends pip and squeek. He will be buried tonight. Thank you all for your kind words.
*Ratless*

Binky

Post by Binky » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm sorry you had to let him go :(. Sleep well Riloh :rattyrainbow:.
Lisa and the ratty mischief makers :hearts:
Sleep well all those that have left :rattyrainbow:

Return to “Health”