URGENT - swollen sticking out penis

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Faun

URGENT - swollen sticking out penis

Post by Faun » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 am

I've just picked Jayne up, and found his penis swollen, reddish/a bit purpley, and sticking out. I've applied a bit of, um, lubricant, and tried to ease it back in. Not too sure how much success I've had though - it is no longer hanging right out, but still looks very swollen and sore and visible. I've got him in an empty carrier with a bowl of milk - hoping to see if he's still able to pee or not.

There is a picture here.

What is this/what should I do/help? :?
Emily and Topher, the dogbeast.
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze, Jamie, Tumnus, Bailey, Finn, Jayne, Simon.

Amzy

Re: URGENT - swollen sticking out penis

Post by Amzy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am

This happened to Dave when his sheath had an abscess in it... the vet actually poked it back in with the end of a syringe after it had been cleaned 8-)

eta: this has also happened on another rat of mine and i just poked it back in, and with Daves it kept coming out but once he had metacam the swelling went down and it stayed in better lol

eta again: manipulate it fully out and clean it... does any gunk come out of it?

Sorry for the shoddy reply :oops:
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 am

Got any metacam? It'll help with both the pain and the swelling.
Prolapses can take about a day or so to go back in, rather than being instant, so don't give up hope or anything unless there's very serious other signs :luck:

eta - I think I x-posted with some of Amy's edits :P
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Faun

Post by Faun » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 am

Thank you for speedy and helpful replies! :hearts:

Yup, I've given him a bit of metacam. I've also just spotted some pee in the carrier!

There doesn't seem to be any gunk or ooziness. Just quite a bit of swelling and redness, and it keeps popping back out at me :shock:

So, no need to rush to emergency vet? Just keep an eye on him and pop him to the vets over the next day or two if it worsens or fails to get any better? Will he be okay left for a few hours tonight while I sleep, and then all day tomorrow while I work? I don't want to come home and find his manbits have dropped off... :? :oops:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 am

I'd put him back in the main cage and go to bed :D

Penile prolapses happen occasionally, and generally they right themselves fairly quickly. More than metacam and lube (and I'd do the former once a day for a few days and the latter twice a day) there's not masses you can do. If it *keeps* happening, then AB cover and perhaps a stitch may be needed, but it's not an emergency or anything :)

With your being offline antics (haha) you missed one of my 4 week old mini mice having a prolapse! I thought he was going to die as he was cold, floppy and handleable. But 3 days of metacam OD, heatmat and 2 lots of lube (after this he wasn't handleable enough) he's fine. He's now called Put It In though :lol: But with rats as their bigger and things a) they're more handleable b) it's really unlikely to get to that stage. I've had rats and fancy mice with prolapses - I'm surprised you've not had to deal with one before lol.
Last edited by acapae_wolf on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 am

Should be fine and do what Beri has said :D Trevor prolapsed for 48 hours or so on 2/3 occaisons when he was young with nowt wrong with him. Dave on the otherhand was forced to prolase because it was so swollen :) x
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Facebook

Faun

Post by Faun » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 am

Awesome, that is very reassuring, thank you :D I'll get up early tomorrow to see how he's done overnight and attack him with the durex again, but will try not to worry overly much.
acapae_wolf wrote:With your being offline antics (haha) you missed one of my 4 week old mini mice having a prolapse! I thought he was going to die as he was cold, floppy and handleable. But 3 days of metacam OD, heatmat and 2 lots of lube (after this he wasn't handleable enough) he's fine. He's now called Put It In though :lol:
Ahhh, scariness :shock: How did you manage to lube tinytinymousepenis?! That sounds... fiddly. I am very glad that Put It In made a full recovery :D

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:15 am

A careful finger and probably an excess of lube even for this situation lol. But the first application he was pretty dead-looking and just lying on his back on my hand, so it wasn't massively difficult.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 pm

How is he today? :luck:
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Facebook

Faun

Post by Faun » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Tonnes better, thank you :D He looks pretty much back to normal now - possibly a bit sore still, but everything is where it should be! I will keep up with the metacam and lube thing for a couple of days to be sure it stays put though. Thank you again for super helpful late night advisings :hearts:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Bumping an old topic because it's easier! But i've got a 12 wk (but looks 7 wk) buck with 'issues' with his anal sphincter (he had ring tail as a kitten, so it's damaged the anal nerves and i have to squeeze poo out of him every day) who had obviously been trying to squeeze out a giant poo, and in the process has prolapsed his weenie.
It doesn't look swollen or sore, but will NOT go back in, i've tried aloe gel as lube.
Only time i've had this before, the vet put a little stitch in under GA to sort it out, but given he already has issues, i don't want to put him under GA just in case.

Any suggestions
Lilly and the rats at Lilliput Stud

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Put your aloe gel in the fridge for a few hours and then apply, the cold makes stuff shrink...

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Good plan that woman!
Lilly and the rats at Lilliput Stud

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Oooh, cold lube! Thanks old thread!

Return to “Health”