Respy boys... Still.

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Locked
User avatar
-rattylove-
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am
Location: North Lincolnshire

Respy boys... Still.

Post by -rattylove- » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:54 pm

I can finally get to the vets this weekend. I have one in mind that I haven't been to around here.. But I just don't know what to do anymore. Just to back track the history, my boys have been respy forever. I've tried a long list of things, the next one I was hoping to try was Marbocyl. I'd found so e where that did it, after being refused at the vets I was going to, them wanting me to pay £200 to see what was really wrong with them, (surely they would rather go for the medicine? I know it's not licensed for them)
Anyway, my Dad had driven me there an hour later, I was certain they were going to give me it. I got in and they said, well you're with another vets. We can't give you anything if you're registered with someone else. So I came out with nothing and just cried in the car. I've never had to ring the vets up and say that I wanted the files transferring myself so I wouldn't think to do it before this time!
I've lost all hope in any of the vets around here. I used to be confident that I could get advice off here and the vets would listen but it never happens, I either come out with the wrong amount of stuff or not "allowed" it.
How am I supposed to help them? Nothing too drastic has happened. Scooby has turned very quickly before from being ok to the other extreme, puffy, gasping, struggling to the top of everything for oxygen.. I can't let that happen again :( at the minute he's very wet sneezy and hooty sometimes, the other is sneezing occasionally. Every time they go on any kind of treatment, it slows down. Then when stopped, it comes back again.
I've read that some rats need to be on Baytril for the rest of their lives, every 12 hours. Is this what needs to be done? Or do I really need to get hold of other medication?
If I could drive it would maybe be a bit easier but I have to rely on my Dad and he isn't very pleased at driving an hour on a Saturday before he has to do shopping in another town. I would literally beg him if I had to though. Be very grateful of any input.

User avatar
Tori30
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Re: Respy boys... Still.

Post by Tori30 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:24 pm

I couldn't really tell from your post, if you'd actually taken the rats to the new vet or just asked them for the meds. I don't think there's many, uf any vets that would give you meds without actually seeing the animals.

I don't know what else you've tried, but doxycycline is a good next step, either on its own or as a combo with baytril. You could also try some bisolven powder which might help loosen any secretions. Some rats do need lifetime meds, but if you've only given baytril, I don't think you're at a point of worrying about that yet. There'd be no point in having them on baytril long term if it's not clearing their symptoms up.

Good luck with them x
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

User avatar
-rattylove-
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am
Location: North Lincolnshire

Re: Respy boys... Still.

Post by -rattylove- » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Tori30 wrote:I couldn't really tell from your post, if you'd actually taken the rats to the new vet or just asked them for the meds. I don't think there's many, uf any vets that would give you meds without actually seeing the animals.

I don't know what else you've tried, but doxycycline is a good next step, either on its own or as a combo with baytril. You could also try some bisolven powder which might help loosen any secretions. Some rats do need lifetime meds, but if you've only given baytril, I don't think you're at a point of worrying about that yet. There'd be no point in having them on baytril long term if it's not clearing their symptoms up.

Good luck with them x
Yes I took them with me but because I was registered with another vet he wouldn't even look at them :( So I came all the way home with nothing. I didn't know what to do so finished the Baytril and Doxy off as didn't want to leave them with nothing :?
They've previously had Synulox, Baytril, Baytril and Doxy, Zithromax and Zithromax and Doxy..
There is one vet left around me that I haven't been to but I think I'm going to be left in the same situation :(

I'll remember the Bisolvon powder thank you x

User avatar
Tori30
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Re: Respy boys... Still.

Post by Tori30 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 pm

You have tried a lot then. Another thing to consider is to try an antibiotic that is not as mycoplasma specific as the ones you've tried. I have had some good responses to ceporex in three of myboys who stopped responding to their zithromax. I had to really push for it though.. Myvet kept trying to tell me it was scarring, despite the fact they initially improved on meds.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

User avatar
Pixie
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland

Re: Respy boys... Still.

Post by Pixie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm

The new vet should have phoned the old vet and asked for histories either verbally/ fax or email. I can't understand why they wouldn't have done that. Your also entitled to seek a second opinion without transferring vets although the new one would still need history. Ugh I am so sorry for you, some people are really unhelpful.
Girls: Chaos, Cora, Bindi, Capn Jack, Pi-rat, Frost, Mac & Little Foot
Boys: Briar, Thorn, Willow, Bracken, Bramble, Winks & Lemmy

User avatar
neotoma
Posts: 4675
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: Respy boys... Still.

Post by neotoma » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Yep - if they didn't like the fact you were registered elsewhere, they could have registered you there and then got the notes transferred (vets seem quite random in what they allow - in australia, being registered in multiple places and going where you fancy / can get an appointment is pretty normal. My UK vets practice insisted you register with them, and the receptionists could get a bit funny if people also saw other vets, but the vets (or certainly my vet) didnt seem bothered).

In terms of what to try - if there is an active infection going on that needs ABs, and it doesn't respond to what you've listed above, I would discuss one of a) draxxin injections - excellent for myco in rats, and I've had boys repsond to them who responded to nothing else. But not a common drug for small animals (it was designed for cattle and pigs), so not always easy persuade a vet to use, or b) a combination of something like baytril (for myco coverage) and a good broad spectrum, but non-myco specific drug in case he has something else altogether (ceporex, coamox, septrin etc)

If it is not an active infection or not at a stage where you feel ABs will help, then bisolven might be useful if he is gunky. If he isn't gunky, but there is dry lng noise suggesting scarring / inflammation, then I would try a low dose of metacam. I haven't previously been convinced by metacam in resp issues, but I've just tried it in boy with chronic myco with lung inflammation who wasn't responding to doxy, and his symptoms have disappeared.

Locked

Return to “Health”