Lice - treatment?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Roses Mischief

Lice - treatment?

Post by Roses Mischief » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Icky yucky, just seen huge amount of lice on Cinnamon - just wanted to be sure of the invermectin dose for when I go to the vet?
:love: Clarence Ebenezer and Cinnamon :love:
:dumborainbow:14 at the bridge :hearts: Marc, Harvey, Mincemeat, Chestnut, Mr Quin, Barnaby, Gareth, Fantoosh, Jonah, Stuart, Franco, Puck, Troy, and Hugo

Helzie
Admin Aide

Re: Lice - treatment?

Post by Helzie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Depends on the concentration of the ivermectin and the weight of your rat- but you can treat it at home. The beaphar phials work ok and a the easiest to get from petshops (you need to know how much your rat weighs to know which one to get) but you can also use the higher concentrate stuff which is what the vet will probably have, which is a drop.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

SueN

Post by SueN » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:27 pm

We use 0.5% Ivermectin and put 2 drops on the shoulders where they are less likely to groom it off.
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

absolute_twaddle

Post by absolute_twaddle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm

We used the Beaphar spot on when ours had them. Some people dose twice or even three :shock: times 10-12 days apart but ours only needed 1 vial each because it lasts 28 days (you get 4 in a box - make sure it's the right one though).

I'd save your money and give the vets a miss if lice is your only problem. :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:45 pm

You must weigh the rats prior to treating and treat all in the cage.

I use Ivermectin drops 0.1%, once a week for 3 weeks.
100g- 2 drops
200g- 4 drops
400g- 8 drops

They need to be treated for 3 weeks as the drops kill the lice rather than the eggs. By the 6th day you will usually get more lice hatching and when you treat them on the 7th day those lice will be killed. I clean the cage every 2 days and keep clean substrate in a different room. Remember to handle the rats after you have dealt with other rats.
Girls: Chaos, Cora, Bindi, Capn Jack, Pi-rat, Frost, Mac & Little Foot
Boys: Briar, Thorn, Willow, Bracken, Bramble, Winks & Lemmy

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 pm

I've never done more than one treatment with lice (had them once, suspected twice) and just kept all the other care things the same. I have various concentrations of ivermectin lurking around - mostly 0.5%. If you can get OTC stuff I would :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Pixie wrote:They need to be treated for 3 weeks as the drops kill the lice rather than the eggs. By the 6th day you will usually get more lice hatching and when you treat them on the 7th day those lice will be killed. I clean the cage every 2 days and keep clean substrate in a different room. Remember to handle the rats after you have dealt with other rats.
One treatment should be enough, as already mentioned, Ivermectin and Selamectin both stay in the system for approx 28 days in rats, covering the whole lice circle of life and they should cause no other issues.

SueN

Post by SueN » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:29 am

We only do one treatment :)
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:54 pm

They cycle was still going with mine and they needed the 3 treatments, they were covered in eggs. They lice were still hatching and producing more eggs by the 2nd week, checked under a scope. It isn't detrimental to the rats given in the correct doses and the treatment for 3 weeks is what is recommended. :)

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 pm

We only dose once every 28 days as well. As a toxicologist, and panicking about drugs is my job, I couldn't give ivermectin every 7 days. When I dose them as it is I have to stay with them for at least a couple of hours before I can go and do something else :oops:
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

alijane

Post by alijane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 pm

nmt100 wrote:We only dose once every 28 days as well. As a toxicologist, and panicking about drugs is my job, I couldn't give ivermectin every 7 days. When I dose them as it is I have to stay with them for at least a couple of hours before I can go and do something else :oops:
I use the one drop stuff, but it does make me nervous about overdosing by accident. What symptoms would I see if there was an adverse reaction and what should I do?

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Pixie wrote:They cycle was still going with mine and they needed the 3 treatments, they were covered in eggs. They lice were still hatching and producing more eggs by the 2nd week, checked under a scope.
Then you obviously didn't use the correct product, concentration or application method ;)
Pixie wrote:It isn't detrimental to the rats given in the correct doses and the treatment for 3 weeks is what is recommended. :)
Unless your rats have a reaction to the Ivermectin, or are hypersensitive...and hey, you kill them. Or leave them with life-long neurological issues. Either isn't really that appealing, but I have seen both. Ivermectin can also cause some pretty nasty birth defects too, so no, it's not that safe, and should be used with caution.

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Well technically it shouldn't cross the blood brain barrier (bit that protects the brain from toxins in the rest of the body) and I worry far too much about potential mutations of glycoproteins and CYP enzymes that potentially exist in the blood brain barrier. Different mutations can be seen in the lab rat strains so technically a colour, marking, specific line could be more sensitive. It happens in dogs to - collies should be given ivermectin with extreme care.

If it does cross though it affects both the receptors (glutamate and GABA) that balance brain activity so the symptoms range from acting a bit tipsy to full blown seizures and if they get to the seizures stage you are looking at potential fatality. If you see any signs its straight to the vet - warmth, fluids and there is a huge debate on treatment which is complicated with very many people advising many things but probably supportive therapy for a rat.

As Laura says safe for most but can be very nasty for a few. Hence only treating every 28 days!
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Stovokor wrote:
Pixie wrote:They cycle was still going with mine and they needed the 3 treatments, they were covered in eggs. They lice were still hatching and producing more eggs by the 2nd week, checked under a scope.
Then you obviously didn't use the correct product, concentration or application method ;)
Pixie wrote:It isn't detrimental to the rats given in the correct doses and the treatment for 3 weeks is what is recommended. :)
Unless your rats have a reaction to the Ivermectin, or are hypersensitive...and hey, you kill them. Or leave them with life-long neurological issues. Either isn't really that appealing, but I have seen both. Ivermectin can also cause some pretty nasty birth defects too, so no, it's not that safe, and should be used with caution.
I am a nurse and I used it with caution as I followed the manufacturers guidelines for dosage by weighing the rats, so yes I did use the correct product, concentration and application method thank you. They are now lice free. If the rats are going to react to the ivermectin they will die with the first dose I have seen this with mice. I don't breed so not an issue for birth defects with my non pregnant rats.
I will speak to my rat vet regarding the 28 days and get him to speak to the manufacturer as this is not on the product information but this was on 0.1% rather than 0.5. The 0.1 is what my vet gives for small animals.

SueN

Post by SueN » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:05 pm

We use the 0.5% and only do one dose, perhaps with the lower concentrate one the recommendations are different, but I certainly would not want to risk any side effects.

Return to “Health”