Merrow smells funny

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
acapae_wolf

Merrow smells funny

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 pm

As above, really. I have a really sensitive sense of smell and have previously smelt a mini abscess before even a head appeared when everyone on FR/ NERS and FB was convinced it was nothing.

Anyway, Merrow's been looking a bit 'off' for a couple of weeks, but there's some fighting in the cage, so I assumed it was down to that. Been keeping a general eye on her though. Anyway, tonight during free range I noticed she smelt a bit 'off' as well. More of a faint whiff, rather than all over. Possibly more on her left flank than elsewhere, but it was so vague after the first smell that I wouldn't say for certain. The smell is definitely not coming from her urethra, though I will try and get a urine sample in the next few days.

Any thoughts? She's kept well out of the fighting (which has mostly been Wen, Inch, Sequana and Foxtrot).
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Lillyland

Re: Merrow smells funny

Post by Lillyland » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 pm

I have no suggestion, but i know what you mean about smells. I had the same feeling with Don before i discovered his 'behind the ear' abscess (which has now healed and is fine now btw :))
Lilly and the rats at Lilliput Stud

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Well, validation counts for odd smells. Also yay Don :)

Just to add, I took everyone with me last Thursday when I took Arky to the vet. Merrow was given a very thorough health check with nothing found wrong; just told to bring her back if anything changed.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Also nothing helpful to say, other than more validation for odd smells indicating health issues. I would think you were imagining things, until I experienced Faeroe and his Freakishly Jasmine Scented Mammary Lump (TM). It was bizarre. But now I totally believe that if your sense of smell is sensitive enough, it can detect sickness.

Hope it's nothing major.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Helzie wrote:Also nothing helpful to say, other than more validation for odd smells indicating health issues. I would think you were imagining things, until I experienced Faeroe and his Freakishly Jasmine Scented Mammary Lump (TM). It was bizarre. But now I totally believe that if your sense of smell is sensitive enough, it can detect sickness.

Hope it's nothing major.
:shock: Samos' mammary lump smelled like flowers.. how bizarre! Pre-burst abscesses smell like pork to me :oops:

Pandaikon

Post by Pandaikon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 pm

I think that since it is known that cancer can produce smells which dogs can detect it isn't such a stretch to believe that we can notice when a rat's smell changes. After all, we control their diet and environment so their smell should not vary very much (apart from when they pee on each other...) I love how my rats smell, I think I would be very concerned if it suddenly changed.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Right, I've pinpointed it. I was on track before :) It's on the left side, between her spine and knee. There's no bite marks, missing hair, slightly odd texture to the skin or anything. What's in that region in rats?

Tyne

Post by Tyne » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 am

lymph glands. are the only thing i can thing of.
formerly Smurfette

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 am

Lillyland wrote:Pre-burst abscesses smell like pork to me :oops:
Which is not a helpful question to ask someone who's not eating pork in years :lol:
Tyne wrote:lymph glands. are the only thing i can thing of.
I think they're on the underneath?

Right rat, old photo - but approximately here

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 am

The position you've circled is exactly where my rats get wet / stinky if they go mad on scent marking. So scent glands are a possibility. But I'm not sure what would be up with them to make her be a bit off.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 am

Hmmm! It's definitely only one side too - the right side just smells of rat/ hay. I know essentially nothing about rat scent glands.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 am

Try having a squeeze about down there. If it's an impacted scent gland, your fingers will soon be noticeably fishy. :sick: (not had that on a rat, but i have on a cat. BLEURGH)

Exogenesis

Post by Exogenesis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:43 am

Lymph nodes are located in the skin flaps in armpit and between rear leg and body. I agree that looks like a scent gland area, but not sure what would change her scent on one side and not the other. Maybe an infection? Keep an eye out for any other symptoms, just treat this as an early warning.
Kirsty and the Ratty Girls; Pam and Nell & Ratty Boys; Ichigo, Renji, Zaraki and Harper. And the cat, Darwin.
Gone but not forgotten; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuki, Shiro, Rukia, Amaya, Ellis, Nick, Mai, Misaki, River, Armand, Coach and Kokoro

wavoguns

Post by wavoguns » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 am

Could maybe be a sebourreous cycst. In other words, a ratty spot. Maybe some hair folicles are clogged. I'd try swabbing it with hot saline solution or warm hibiscrub twice a day for a couple of days. If it's an abscess or a cyst, it will come to a head or at least become more noticeable.

Before I read the whole thread, my first thought, it could be an abscess in her mouth or it could be an infection or abscess near her ear. Those are the only two places where previous rats of mine developed abscesses or cysts and I could smell them way before they even became noticeable.
:) Gundula and the Farmdale rats :)

Tyrion and Bronn, Finian and Stumpy, Fuggles and Monty, Malin, Pud
Also thinking of all my loved ones that have moved to the bridge.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am

She was more poofy this morning and the smell in the same place. But also my sense of smell is going as I have a flu-thing.
wavoguns wrote:Could maybe be a sebourreous cycst. In other words, a ratty spot.
Sebaceous cyst? They're not really the same as spots. Amzy's recommended I try a hot compress for a few days to see if it helps though, so I'll be doing that :)

Return to “Health”