Finger bitten off

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Flox

Finger bitten off

Post by Flox » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Last night Bootle made it up to a cage I thought he couldn't reach, and lost a finger for his curiosity. He's had some metacam then and again this afternoon, and he'd literally just started a course of ronaxan on friday for his snuffles. His toe is a little swollen but not awful. Is there anything else I can and should be doing for him? Other than feeling awful?
Rat Riot - jewellery, ornaments and pretty things with a distinctly ratty flavour

Thanks to Smudge, Mousey & Titch, Ed & Small, Daisy, Porte & Fenetre, Spud, Brutus, Cinny, Vincent Julien, Vari, Iorek, Troos, Bootle, Podrick, Big Squee & Tiny Squee

rattycorner

Re: Finger bitten off

Post by rattycorner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm

I've had rats lose a finger before and I didn't even notice until after they'd healed (hangs head in shame :oops: ). But it doesn't seem to be a big problem to them, and if your lad has already had metacam and is on antibiotics then he's probably not even feeling it and isn't likely to get any infection. So I'd say your best option is to stop feeling guilty and just give him extra huggles.
Annette and the Brandywine Rats
at Ratty Corner
The Midlands Rat Club

Flox

Post by Flox » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Thank you, I just wanted to check :)

I had another rat lose a toe when they were in the carrier driving to my Mum's house one Christmas, and he had it all cleaned up and sorted by the time I found it! That's really the only reason I didn't totally freak out last night, because there was so much blood - but it's such a tiny surface area to heal, and Vince survived, so I figured Boot would :) Still scary, though.

Thanks for the reassurance!
Rat Riot - jewellery, ornaments and pretty things with a distinctly ratty flavour

Thanks to Smudge, Mousey & Titch, Ed & Small, Daisy, Porte & Fenetre, Spud, Brutus, Cinny, Vincent Julien, Vari, Iorek, Troos, Bootle, Podrick, Big Squee & Tiny Squee

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:10 pm

I had a rat lose a finger once. Put him to bed one night and hehad all his toes, woke him up the next morning and his finger was missing. No idea what happened at all but apart from the stump being a little swollen it was fine! I did start him on synulox at one point because it went a bit red and hot so I was worried about infection but it's healed fine and hasn't been a problem.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Return to “Health”