when is enough enough?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Shriggs

when is enough enough?

Post by Shriggs » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

So, I realise this is a hugely subjective question and is going to vary between people and situations.

My eldest doe has had 2 lump operations this month (4 have been removed so far), she bounced back after both but within a day or so her lumps were growing back (with a vengeance might I add).

In herself she is happy, still eating (although very gradually losing weight now), drinking, peeing, she's still friendly and playful. So no behavioural changes (yet).

However, she currently has a lump the size of a tomato between her hind legs. It appeared, maybe 10 days ago about 2 days after the last op as a small squidgy pea sized bump. It has grown frighteningly fast. The vet last saw her about a week ago and said she wouldn't be happy operating again which at the time we agreed with (I think not realised how fast this thing would grow).

Her lump is soft, very round, I can't feel solid tissue or any of the irregularities with her previous lumps. It's obviously heavy (when she walks it is dragging but not impeding her yet.)

I am not sure what to do? Do I take her back and persuade the vet to operate or try and get a biopsy? Or do I wait until she's getting to the stage where I would get her PTS? I will try and upload a picture later.

Tori30

Re: when is enough enough?

Post by Tori30 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 pm

I think if it's a pure choice between try and operate, or pts, then you dont lose anything by tryong the op if its not successful, and if it is... then good.

But if there's a third choice of waiting and seeing if its not affecting her quality of life, its a bit more difficult. Could you maybe leave it until its affecting her, then try a removal?

I had my boy pts on Fri after a lump we found two months ago started to impact on him. He had a bad chest and would likely not have survived the op to remove it - it was golf ball sized! But we have no regrets about our choice as we had months with a happy Lewis that we probably wouldnt have had, had we opted to try for s removal.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

Shriggs

Post by Shriggs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks, and I am sorry for your loss :(.

Well, I've booked her in to see the vet tomorrow so will see what her thoughts are I guess and go from there.

rattycorner

Post by rattycorner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

You could ask the vet's opinions on Galastop. It doesn't work on all lumps, but you might strike lucky.
Annette and the Brandywine Rats
at Ratty Corner
The Midlands Rat Club

Shriggs

Post by Shriggs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Okay,

update following the vets.

She's booked in for a drain on Tuesday, the Vet drew a sample from the lump of straw coloured clear fluid (she must have pulled at least 20ml and it's still monstrous.)

So, we will see - I didn't ask about the Galastop. (forgot, but I will bridge the idea on tuesday)

What could the fluid be?

annc

Post by annc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:46 pm

It sounds as if it could be a seroma, which sometimes occurs post-operatively and has no long-term consequences.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Shriggs

Post by Shriggs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Yep, was a seroma- the vet removed a huuuge amount of fluid and pus from the lump and dud the rat equivalent of a tummy tuck. She's now the Happiest rat I have ever seen.

She's also the most expensive pet I've ever owned too ;)

Return to “Health”