Deslorelin implant

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
rufusrat

Deslorelin implant

Post by rufusrat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with using deslorelin implants in does for aggressive behaviour?

Any advice/information would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

nmt100

Re: Deslorelin implant

Post by nmt100 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

We're trialling the implant for tumour prevention in a rat that we're not happy to spay, but many people seem to be of the opinion that it doesn't last. If you can/are happy to spay I would do that. It has considerable health benefits and its what we're going to try for our doe who can be aggressive to other rats.
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:30 am

Yes, I've used it in my doe who is now roughly 2 years, six months. She was severely aggressive/hormonal towards her cage mates. She's had the implant about 6 months now. It took around 3 weeks to really kick in but after that she's been perfect :D
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

rufusrat

Post by rufusrat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am

Hi. Thank you for the replies.

Lucy (the rat in question) is approximately two years of age now and started biting on Christmas day. She is aggressive both in and out of her cage. She will actively pounce to bite me and the bites are proper bites not nips. She is displaying normal behaviour with her cage mate. Previously she was easy to handle, always a little nervous though and would come out to play every night.

I'm just trying to establish whether it would be a beneficial treatment for her, how long the treatment would last and how many people out there are using the implants for aggression. I have a very good vet.

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 pm

I'd maybe have her checked for other health issues also as her sudden change in behaviour could
point towards something other than a hormonal problem, ie neurological issues in particular. Have
you noticed any other symptoms apart from the aggressive behavior?

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:37 pm

With Whiskers we thought maybe it was neurological at first because of how randomly it came on, also when she was roughly 2 years old. Constant vet trips, even a course of antibiotics just in case there was something else causing it, monitoring her every day and we could find nothing. As I said, took 2-3 weeks for the implant to kick in but after that she's been a perfect angel :hearts:

I'd recommend the vet having a good feel of her to make sure they can't feel any enlarged organs or sore spots that could be causing her pain/discomfort. My vet did that, just to rule it out.
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:

rufusrat

Post by rufusrat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 am

Lucy has had an examination under sedation at the vets as we were undecided whether one of her eyes was bulging a bit. The vet agreed that there could possibly be something behind the eye so she was given a course of antibiotics in case it was an abscess. This was in January and there was no improvement. The vet feels now that it is more likely to be a hormonal issue and not neurological. The difference in eye size is very subtle. The vet suggested the implant.
If it was a brain tumour which is what I first suspected due to the sudden change in behaviour, would I have seen a deterioration in her health by now? She is eating, drinking and sleeping as normal. She still comes for treats.

StormySkye - was Whiskers aggressive towards you or just the other rats? That's great that she's now much happier.

Debzratties - no other symptoms apart from a staring coat. That is why I had her examined under sedation.

I've kept quite a few does over the last few years but I've never had one turn aggressive before.

:)

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 am

rufusrat wrote:StormySkye - was Whiskers aggressive towards you or just the other rats? That's great that she's now much happier.
Oddly, no. Just the other rats. Could be because her sister died at a VERY young age and she was then kept as a lone rat until she came to me. So maybe she thought she was human and those pesky rodents weren't worth her time :P

Now that you've said about the slightly bulging eye and the staring coat, that's got me pondering... Most brain/neuro tumours I've experienced have progressed very quickly, with the rat usually only living roughly another month or so after discovery of tumour. So I'd assume that you'd have seen an increase of symptoms or more symptoms in that period of time, but I wouldn't rule out a slow-growing tumour.

I'll be totally 100% honest with you - it is worth a try. If you don't try the implant, she's not likely to stop the aggression. If you do try the implant, there'll either be no change OR it will improve!

The rat is awake when the implant goes in (devastating to hear them scream, but it only takes a split second and then you get to cuddle, kiss and give treats to them until they forgive you) so there aren't the risks associated with surgery. Yes, it costs a bit of money, but surely it is worth it on the off-chance it helps her?

Pandaikon

Post by Pandaikon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:02 pm

I've been meaning to ask my vet about deslorelin implants for rats, I have heard good things although they need to be redone each year (from what I have read) If they work I think they could be an amazing advantage for people who do not have a vet experienced with spaying rats or for rats who don't stand a good chance of surviving the spay.

For the ones that have had them was it pretty easy for the vet to do and what kind of costs were they? Did you need to leave them in or could you take them home right away? I really doubt my vet has done it before so I want to have an idea of what to expect when I ask them. Also, if anyone knows of any articles about the health benefits I could print off and take with me that would be really handy, I spent ages searching and could only find ones that relate to the birth control aspect.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, I was meaning to start a similar thread myself at some point. Since it is a chemical spay I would expect it to help with aggression, and the tumour reduction would be a handy benefit even if it turns out the aggression is caused by something else so I think it is worth a shot.

rufusrat

Post by rufusrat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Lucy has had the deslorelin implant. The cost was £58.34.

Fingers crossed for an improvement with her behaviour. :)

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:22 pm

rufusrat wrote:Lucy has had the deslorelin implant. The cost was £58.34.

Fingers crossed for an improvement with her behaviour. :)
Wow....that's like a spay, AND a lump removal at my vets, or almost 2 castrations :shock:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 am

Mine cost a lot more than that but in my case, Whiskers wasn't healthy enough for a spay so the implant was our only option.

Wishing you all the best! :luck:

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:58 pm

StormySkye wrote:
The rat is awake when the implant goes in (devastating to hear them scream, but it only takes a split second and then you get to cuddle, kiss and give treats to them until they forgive you) so there aren't the risks associated with surgery. Yes, it costs a bit of money, but surely it is worth it on the off-chance it helps her?
Ours get a whiff of gas to take the edge off. Deslorolin is a bit of a pricey option.
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

Return to “Health”