Open wound

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Miss Aislin

Open wound

Post by Miss Aislin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Stardust had a lumpectomy/spay today. The vet told me she'd been worrying at her lumpectomy wound and had opened it a bit already, having to have the end reglued, but she seemed bright and alert. Got her home she was bouncy and bright, I stayed with her for an hour and a bit keeping a good eye on her, she pretty much left it alone while I was watching.

I then deemed it safe to have a cuppa and watch Eastenders, I was downstairs for about 45 minutes in total, went upstairs to find blood everywhere and a very fluffy and distressed Stardust. She'd removed the glue around the wound and most of her stitches, exposing internal organs and stuff (it's a good thing I'm not squeamish!), so it was straight back to the (emergency) vets... on the coldest British March day in history with several inches of snow about (they pick their bloody moments). She's there for the night.

They've re-stitched her up and are attempting a cone-of-shame job but whether she'll keep that on is another story.

Anybody have any good advice on stopping her opening it all up again? The vet suggested a sock with holes cut in it, anyone ever done this and did it work?
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.
RIP to the many at the bridge xx

acapae_wolf

Re: Open wound

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 pm

This looks like a successful one: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 66&t=17566
I also made this thread recently: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 38&t=18124

I think you'd have to gamble a bit with whether that would make her fret more. Hopefully if she's in under observation overnight, that the wounds will have done their super rat healing things a fair amount by tomorrow :luck:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:This looks like a successful one: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 66&t=17566
I also made this thread recently: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 38&t=18124

I think you'd have to gamble a bit with whether that would make her fret more. Hopefully if she's in under observation overnight, that the wounds will have done their super rat healing things a fair amount by tomorrow :luck:
Thank you, I think she probably will wriggle out of a sock (I've only got size 3 feet but it still looks too big!) but maybe a tubigrip thing might work...
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 am

Apparently she HAS kept her Buster-Collar on all night (rare for ratties!) She's able to get about and go to the toilet, but she needs to be hand-fed while it's on

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 am

Very rare for ratties :lol: Rosie was the devil incarnate for worrying her stitches. I ended up wrapping her tightly -like a baby in swaddling clothes - and carrying her round with me for a couple of days. The good thing is that they heal amazingly fast.

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:42 am

She's kept the collar on and left her wound alone so I can pick her up at 2pm (uh, weather permitting!) the nurse said she looks 'hilarious' and 'cute' apparently, so pictures of lampshade-rat likely to follow!

Gaynor

Post by Gaynor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 am

I had a girl do this this week, she went back in and they stapled her. I gave her pain killers twice a day instead of once and left her in the hospital cage alone for 3 days, she had play time with her cage mate on the sofa at night. She is back in the cage now and has left them alone so far!
Milo :smile: & Jasper :smile:
RIP
Tarja. Annette. Emily. Harald. Belial. Sally. Elric. Thor. Florence. Candice. Anneke. Liz. Brody. Geezer. Annie. Grace. Tony. Fleur. Charly. Denzelette. Harry. Ozzy & Missy the hamster!
Formerly known as Gee

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Yes, we have found that stapes can work. They look horrible, but they can give a wound time to heal.

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 pm

She's poorly and it's really not funny... but...

On the plus side she's functioning fine, able to use the water bottle and potter around the floor of the cage
On the downside she keeps turning it around so the long side is on the bottom and scooping up substrate with it...

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I am sorry - it is wrong to mock the afflicted, but she does look funny :lol: Dear little soul :hearts: If she fancies coming round here and helping to scoop substrate when I clean my lot out, I will pay generously in yoggies!

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:50 pm

alijane wrote:I am sorry - it is wrong to mock the afflicted, but she does look funny :lol: Dear little soul :hearts: If she fancies coming round here and helping to scoop substrate when I clean my lot out, I will pay generously in yoggies!
It's very very wrong and naughty and bad *giggles* she's hilarious though

Round_table_knights

Post by Round_table_knights » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Aw Stardust!! Bless her! :love:
Glad she got through the op okay Hun x
Mummy to Tabitha, Mrs Twiggy Winkle, Freddie, Stewie & Pickle.

Sammy, Lance, Bubbles, Percy, Remy, Blossom, Buttercup, Pippin, Beatrix 'Bee' & Hugo - I miss you everyday x

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Round_table_knights wrote:Aw Stardust!! Bless her! :love:
Glad she got through the op okay Hun x
The op was not a problem, she came round well helped herself to food then went and did herself a mischief! Naughty girl. If the collar doesn't work they're tubigripping her... lampshade rat will become sausage rat!

annc

Post by annc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:42 pm

I split the painkiller into two doses with food if they interfere with their stitches or seem unhappy.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Eating in this thing is a nightmare! I'm having to 100% handfeed her (scrambled egg, yoghurt, ratty chocolate drops (anything that doesn't involve too much chewing)) because she can't feed herself in it, and it's a bother as she tends to get annoyed with being handfed and stalk off in a sulk, I'll be glad when it comes off - however adorable she looks!

Return to “Health”