Tail gone bad ETA warning: distressing content

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Wormtail

Tail gone bad ETA warning: distressing content

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 pm

The end of my rats tail has gone black. Should I chop it off? It's only about 2cm from the tip. It's completely black and she has no feeling in it so i presume its dead tissue. The bone is not in it.
Leah, Nina, Coco, Oscar. :love:

*account deactivated*

Laurali

Re: Tail gone bad

Post by Laurali » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:57 pm

EERrm I would have thought a visit to the vets would be best. In the mean time if you bathe it gently in salt water. I think " chop it off is a bit extreme" :o .
Tartan Tails Rattery
Laura and the boys& Girls :- Hamish & Winston, Hans and Sebastian and the ladies Bella blue & Rosa
Gone but not forgotten:Alfie,Arthur,Boris,Gimli& Legolas, Rocco, Felix Fred,Bernard, Percy, Timothy & Francis, Henry

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 pm

She needs to see a vet. She may need the black bit and some of the healthy tissue removed, I strongly advise not removing it yourself. Rat tails should have bone all the way to the end as well so if the bone isn't in it she needs to get it checked out for more severe injury as rat tails are an extension of the spine. She may also be in some pain have you given her/got any pain relief?
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Laurali wrote:EERrm I would have thought a visit to the vets would be best. In the mean time if you bathe it gently in salt water. I think " chop it off is a bit extreme" :o .
Mhm but i'm sure they will just do the same. I'm not talking about the whole tail btw just about a centimeter from the tip.

I have a sharp knife what could cleanly cut it off, then i could dip the end in saltwater to make sure it heals.

*account deactivated*

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:03 pm

No you shouldn't.

I think most of the time this will drop off by itself, however if it does need to be amputated this is obviously a vet job. My boy's tail had to partly amputated after a degloving injury at the rat sitters, and they cut off above the injured part so in healthy tissue. Its can be a very painful injury as they have loads of nerve endings in their tail. Imagine you hurting your spine - and how painful that would be. If the tail above the black bit starts to look red or sore, she should see a vet. How did her tail get injured?

Are you seroius.... they may well aputate some of the tail, but they would certainly do it under an anesthetic and with good pain relief for your poor girl!
Last edited by Tori30 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Wormtail wrote:
I have a sharp knife what could cleanly cut it off,
Are you for real?! :shock:

Get her to the vets! Imagine having the tip of your finger chopped off at home with no pain relief!!
RIP Mr Gregory Bread, Big Bad Billy Bear, Beautiful Barry Role, Sir Ivory Coast, Mr Jeremy Ruffles, Timmy Tatters, Wee Willy Whiskers, Roly-Poly Rodney Hood, Denny Doofus, Larry Love, Mr Minky Mikey-Moo, the wonderful Terry Triviani,Tony Balloney& Bailey Boo and Harvey Wallbanger xxx

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm

flash-gordonette wrote:
Wormtail wrote:

Get her to the vets! Imagine having the tip of your finger chopped off at home with no pain relief!!
And then dipping your finger in salt!

I agree, she needs to go to the vets.

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:08 pm

flash-gordonette wrote:
Wormtail wrote:

Yes I am serious and if I did it myself I would only be removing the dead tissue, I can pinch the end and she feels no pain so I don't really see the big deal with removing it with a knife. The skin is black, floppy and no bone in it.
Tori30 wrote:No you shouldn't.

I think most of the time this will drop off by itself, however if it does need to be amputated this is obviously a vet job. My boy's tail had to partly amputated after a degloving injury at the rat sitters, and they cut off above the injured part so in healthy tissue. Its can be a very painful injury as they have loads of nerve endings in their tail. Imagine you hurting your spine - and how painful that would be. If the tail above the black bit starts to look red or sore, she should see a vet. How did her tail get injured?

Are you seroius.... they may well aputate the tail, but they would certainly do it under an anesthetic and with good pain relief for your poor girl!
How long would it take to fall of by itself if at all?
Last edited by Wormtail on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*account deactivated*

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 pm

nmt100 wrote:She needs to see a vet. She may need the black bit and some of the healthy tissue removed, I strongly advise not removing it yourself. Rat tails should have bone all the way to the end as well so if the bone isn't in it she needs to get it checked out for more severe injury as rat tails are an extension of the spine. She may also be in some pain have you given her/got any pain relief?
Why would they need to remove the healthy tissue?

*account deactivated*

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Wormtail wrote:

Are you seroius.... they may well aputate the tail, but they would certainly do it under an anesthetic and with good pain relief for your poor girl!
If I did it myself I would only be removing the dead tissue, I can pinch the end and she feels no pain so I don't see a problem with removing it with a knife. The skin is black, floppy and no bone in it.
Where has the bone gone? They have bone right to the end of the tail.

If you think she needs her tail tip amputated... she needs to see a vet - it is that simple really. Like I said above, a proper amputation would be done above the injured part, and would need proper wound closure. They go above the injured part onto healthy tissue to ensure no infection can set in from the tissue that is dead, also it helps ensure the wound can be properly closed up. What you are suggesting is just cruel.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

SadakoStacey

Post by SadakoStacey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:12 pm

As a pet owner you have a legal and moral responsibility to provide vet care when necessary. It's not up to you to decide when to "chop" part of your rats tail off - a vet will do it in a sterile environment using sterile instruments, under anaesthetic and provide appropriate pain relief. I do keep thinking that this is some kind of a wind up to antagonise people though.
Stacey and the residents of Honeyduke Rattery
Missing all those who had to leave
North of England Rat Society

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Tori30 wrote:
Wormtail wrote:

If I did it myself I would only be removing the dead tissue, I can pinch the end and she feels no pain so I don't see a problem with removing it with a knife. The skin is black, floppy and no bone in it.
Where has the bone gone? They have bone right to the end of the tail.

If you think she needs her tail tip amputated... she needs to see a vet - it is that simple really. Like I said above, a proper amputation would be done above the injured part, and would need proper wound closure. They go above the injured part onto healthy tissue to ensure no infection can set in from the tissue that is dead, also it helps ensure the wound can be properly closed up. What you are suggesting is just cruel.
The bone is above the bit which has gone bad, i guess the skin has got stretched and is no longer to the tip.

*account deactivated*

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 pm

SadakoStacey wrote:As a pet owner you have a legal and moral responsibility to provide vet care when necessary. It's not up to you to decide when to "chop" part of your rats tail off - a vet will do it in a sterile environment using sterile instruments, under anaesthetic and provide appropriate pain relief. I do keep thinking that this is some kind of a wind up to antagonise people though.
Agree.

What happened to the tail in the first place?
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:21 pm

I can only add my concern to the others' - absolutely do NOT attempt amateur surgery on your pet. You will cause pain and distress and make the situation far worse. She really needs to see a qualified vet.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:25 pm

SadakoStacey wrote:As a pet owner you have a legal and moral responsibility to provide vet care when necessary. It's not up to you to decide when to "chop" part of your rats tail off - a vet will do it in a sterile environment using sterile instruments, under anaesthetic and provide appropriate pain relief. I do keep thinking that this is some kind of a wind up to antagonise people though.
You are doing the exact thing you are accusing of me. I posted on here to see peoples opinion if a vet visit is even necessary. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm being insensitive by asking whether I can chop my part of my rats tail off, but do you want me to just leave it like it is and not ask questions about future problems i may have with my rats health? I wonder if you also know anaesthetic can also be dangerous and is probably unnecessary for such a minor thing. I also don't need to be given the legal jargon I am well aware of my duties as a pet owner
Last edited by Wormtail on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

*account deactivated*

Return to “Health”