Tail gone bad ETA warning: distressing content

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Wormtail

Re: Tail gone bad

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Maltey wrote:
SadakoStacey wrote: I do keep thinking that this is some kind of a wind up to antagonise people though.
Agree. There's never a 'normal' post.

Rats are prey animals so they hide pain and illness to show they are not weak and won't get preyed on. Just because you as a human think she's not in pain compared to your human standards doesn't mean she isn't.
Forgetting the pain, how do you propose you're going to keep a rat still when you're chopping its tail off? Suppose you miss and take off the healthy part of her tail where it most definitely will hurt. Never mind the pain, she will be extremely stressed. Under anaesthetic she won't feel any of that.
Never a normal post? What kind of tripe is that? Have you read all my 211 posts?

And for your information the the rat in question is very tame and will stay still for me. As for anesthetic, I very much doubt the vet would even give that for something so minor. I can take a picture if you'd like.
Leah, Nina, Coco, Oscar. :love:

*account deactivated*

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Amzy wrote:
Wormtail wrote:
Helzie wrote:I can only add my concern to the others' - absolutely do NOT attempt amateur surgery on your pet. You will cause pain and distress and make the situation far worse. She really needs to see a qualified vet.
Chopping the tip of the tail off is hardly 'surgery'... :lol:
Are you a vet? Would you chop off your own finger?
Cutting off abit of skin is hardly the same as cutting off a finger, you are taking it to the extreme!

*account deactivated*

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Wormtail wrote: And for your information the the rat in question is very tame and will stay still for me. As for anesthetic, I very much doubt the vet would even give that for something so minor. I can take a picture if you'd like.
I really think you should allow the vet to make that decision. Give them a call. And the tamest of rats won't stay still if someone is chopping part of their body off.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Maltey

Post by Maltey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Even when you're cutting its tail off?
My girls are tame, but they wouldn't sit still and let me hack through their tail.
The Relaxed Rat l Makesphere:My Blog!

♥ Courtney and the ever-growing mischief ♥

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm

The tail is not just a bit of skin

your vet will be qualified to do this. You are not.

You could do more harm than good.

Please go to a vet - your rat deserves to have the proper treatment it needs
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm

They really, really would. But if you don't believe what long term rat owners are telling you, and take on board what they say, then I dont know why you post for advice in the first place. You must know that your original question is going to upset the people on here who genuinely care for their animals.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Wormtail wrote:
Maltey wrote:
SadakoStacey wrote: I do keep thinking that this is some kind of a wind up to antagonise people though.
Agree. There's never a 'normal' post.

Rats are prey animals so they hide pain and illness to show they are not weak and won't get preyed on. Just because you as a human think she's not in pain compared to your human standards doesn't mean she isn't.
Forgetting the pain, how do you propose you're going to keep a rat still when you're chopping its tail off? Suppose you miss and take off the healthy part of her tail where it most definitely will hurt. Never mind the pain, she will be extremely stressed. Under anaesthetic she won't feel any of that.
Never a normal post? What kind of tripe is that? Have you read all my 211 posts?

And for your information the the rat in question is very tame and will stay still for me. As for anesthetic, I very much doubt the vet would even give that for something so minor. I can take a picture if you'd like.
A photo would be good ;)

So.... How did it happen?
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Helzie wrote:I have a further suggestion- why don't you ring an emergency vet and ask them what they recommend? There's no charge for calling them.

Good advice! Please try this- it'll prove one way or another whether treating this yourself is a good idea.

Also, yes please to a photo
RIP Mr Gregory Bread, Big Bad Billy Bear, Beautiful Barry Role, Sir Ivory Coast, Mr Jeremy Ruffles, Timmy Tatters, Wee Willy Whiskers, Roly-Poly Rodney Hood, Denny Doofus, Larry Love, Mr Minky Mikey-Moo, the wonderful Terry Triviani,Tony Balloney& Bailey Boo and Harvey Wallbanger xxx

saraian26

Post by saraian26 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm

I have read the whole thread and in all fairness I agree with the majority. Please take her to the vet - if you had/have a child you would take them to the doctors - same with pets - take him/her to the vets. You could do untold damage to the poor thing. If its cost of the vets then see if they can help you with payments?

Sarah
Sophie, Mel, Lucy, Raven, Bella, Boris and Mike

SueN

Post by SueN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Tori30 wrote:They really, really would. But if you don't believe what long term rat owners are telling you, and take on board what they say, then I dont know why you post for advice in the first place. You must know that your original question is going to upset the people on here who genuinely care for their animals.
Attention ;)
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:01 pm

flash-gordonette wrote: Good advice! Please try this- it'll prove one way or another whether treating this yourself is a good idea.

Also, yes please to a photo
Here's a pic:

*account deactivated*

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Wormtail wrote:
Helzie wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:Can you answer any of the other questions asked such as how it happened and if you have any pain meds at home?
Agreed- can you tell us how it happened and if you have any pain meds you can give her? She will be in pain. She also needs antibiotics.
Here's a pic:

So how did it happen?
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Facebook

SueN

Post by SueN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm

So can you please answer how it happened!
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

That doesn't look black enough to be completely dead IMO.
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Facebook

SueN

Post by SueN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Agreed.

Return to “Health”