Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Amzy

Re: Tail gone bad

Post by Amzy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm

It isn't minor.

Do you have pain relief?

What caused the injury?
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Amputating part of her tail without expert vet care, pain relief and antibiotics WILL cause her pain, and probably make her ill. It really isn't minor. Feelings on this thread are running high because we are concerned that your rat needs expert care and the overwhelming view on this is not being accepted. Vet costs really shouldn't factor into the decision.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 pm

No, you should not do this yourself.
Yes, your rat needs to see a vet.
The "vehement replies" are people astonished that you would even for a second consider something like this yourself without a sterile environment, the right tools and medications, including anaesthesia (which would probably not need to be very much, just enough to carry out the procedure) and pain relief.

I know what it's like to have unexpected vet costs, but I'm afraid that's part of loving and living with pets.

If you try to do this yourself it could go badly wrong and you could end up paying a lot more
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

Fancy Rats Moderation

Post by Fancy Rats Moderation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm

This thread has now been locked, as the OP has received an answer to their question and hopefully will now act on the advice which has repeatedly been given.
Thank you for your cooperation,

Fancy Rats Team

Wormtail

Everything went fine

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Note: thread merged with the other locked one on this topic to keep all relevant information together.

I'll probably be called irresponsible and all sorts of names by a few PC, O.T.T. liberal, drama queens. But I decided to go ahead and remove the dead skin myself:

Before:

After:

Disclaimer note: FR does not consider this kind of action to be acceptable. "All rats should have access to prompt veterinary care when needed, including emergency care out-of-hours." (Fancy Rats ethical statement)

I used scissors which i heated the steal first to make sure it was sterilized, I stopped just before the bone.

She felt no pain as the skin was definitely DEAD. I know my rat and she would of made a loud *Squeak* if their was any nerve endings left alive.

It looks much better now, there was no blood so no chance of infection but i will keep the area clean.
Leah, Nina, Coco, Oscar. :love:

*account deactivated*

Tori30

Re: Everything went fine

Post by Tori30 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm

I hate that Im replying to this as you are clearly wanting some attention. No you clearly dont care about your animals, and if i knew who you were I would report you for cruelty.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Thankfully someone does know who this irresponsible piece of attention-seeking garbage is so hopefully he will be reported.
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

Wormtail

Post by Wormtail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Tori30 wrote:I hate that Im replying to this as you are clearly wanting some attention. No you clearly dont care about your animals, and if i knew who you were I would report you for cruelty.
I'll tell you where i live if you want as I have not caused cruelty to animals. I care alot about my rats thank you very much.

I will probably take her to a vet in a few weeks though to see if they think anything else need's to be done.
Leah, Nina, Coco, Oscar. :love:

*account deactivated*

Fancy Rats Moderation

Post by Fancy Rats Moderation » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:02 pm

The previous thread on this topic was locked as the discussion was no longer constructive. This was deemed the most productive course of action. Please do not start new threads until the topic can be discussed by FR moderation, and refrain from name calling and threatening comments

A reminder of the forum rules:

Respect of fellow members
Fancy Rats Forum should be a place where people can come to learn about rat care no matter what their current position is. Members ask questions to be helped, not judged. 'Ganging up' on other members will not be tolerated. Where a member's views are in conflict with the ethics of Fancy Rats other members are reminded that attitudes are more readily changed by gentleness and education than argument and attack.

It is accepted that from time to time members will disagree with each others opinions, beliefs or advice, or may suspect that the other member is trolling, but we ask that all members post with respect of others' points of view, and do not let their posts degrade into petty arguments or personal attacks. Name calling will not be tolerated regardless of whom or as what.
Thank you for your cooperation,

Fancy Rats Team

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:12 am

I'm briefly unlocking this to reply on the medical stuff for the good of the rat. I will then relock it until Admin has had time to assess the thread.

1) The dead area in the top photo should have bone in it. If it really is floppy and just feels like skin, then the bone must have started to rot. This is a sign that the situation is very serious - it means there is necrosis of the spine as well as the skin.

2) In the second photo there is clearly still dead tissue at the tip of the tail - logical enough as you have cut within the dead tissue. If this is not properly treated with surgical amputation and antibiotics, the necrosis is likely to spread up the tail and enter her bloodstream and spine. If this happens she will die, and at that stage it will not be possible to save her. The reason vets amputate taking a margin of healthy tissue is that if any dead tissue is left, there is a high risk of infection and spreading necrosis. The risk of infection has absolutely nothing to do with whether there was any blood on your wound. It is vital that you take her to a vet asap and have her tail properly assessed and cleaned up, otherwise you are putting her life at risk.

3) Obviously, partial tail amputation of healthy tissue must be done only by a qualified vet, under anaesthetic, and with appropriate post-op pain relief and antibiotics.

Return to “Health”