Rat health warning to people at Alijanes last Sunday

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
madratter

Re: Rat health warning to people at Alijanes last Sunday

Post by madratter » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I keep checking in here to see how everyone is doing. Hadn't checked in yesterday and can't believe so many of your little ones have gone. Was in tears reading.

My heart goes out to you all :hearts: :hearts:
Mum to Mynx, Button, Hattie, :smile: Pumpkin & Luna :dumbobaby:

RIP Squeak, Munchkin & Bubble :rattyrainbow:

Coffee

Post by Coffee » Wed May 15, 2013 10:17 pm

alijane wrote:
Dear little Chewie .... my angry little elevator :hearts:
Aaaaah, she was such a daft thing. <3
Fine purveyor of yoghurt drops to Chewbacca, Moss, Beanie and Baron Sheldon Foofington von Wheatley the First.
Missing Oli, the stumpster extraordinaire.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:41 am

To those who are having snotty sneezes/upper resp/lots of porph problems bisolvin is definitely helping my lot. Trevor had bubbles coming out of his nose at the vets (5pm) and now (nearly 1am) he is sounding really clear, bouncy and lively. He was on my critical list 8 hours ago. All my rats now have bisolvin, baytril and squiggles in water bottles x
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

alijane

Post by alijane » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 am

Amzy wrote:To those who are having snotty sneezes/upper resp/lots of porph problems bisolvin is definitely helping my lot. Trevor had bubbles coming out of his nose at the vets (5pm) and now (nearly 1am) he is sounding really clear, bouncy and lively. He was on my critical list 8 hours ago. All my rats now have bisolvin, baytril and squiggles in water bottles x
This is really helpful - thank you, Amzy :hearts:

Ratilicious

Post by Ratilicious » Thu May 16, 2013 12:15 pm

This is truly awful. I am so sorry for everyone's pain & losses. Thinking of the hoomans & ratties. Love & hugz to all. :(
Love Is...A Rat

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Ive been awol and ony just read this, i am so so sorry to hear about all this :(
Boys: Iggy, Bebop, Rocksteady, Rhidian, Maurice, Dangerous Beans, Hamnpork, Magneto and Xavier... and Ned the Gambian.
Girls: Hotdog Princess, Isis, Rhoda, Lady, Kayla and Doris

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Thu May 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Amzy wrote:To those who are having snotty sneezes/upper resp/lots of porph problems bisolvin is definitely helping my lot. Trevor had bubbles coming out of his nose at the vets (5pm) and now (nearly 1am) he is sounding really clear, bouncy and lively. He was on my critical list 8 hours ago. All my rats now have bisolvin, baytril and squiggles in water bottles x
That's fab news Amy, I'm so pleased it has worked so well for Trevor, and thanks for sharing :) I'm finding bisolvon helpful for my lot too. Just a quick warning on the squiggles - the minerals in it could be affecting the absorption of baytril and reducing effectiveness. I generally try to avoid giving mineral containing supplements within a couple of hours of antibiotics, as there are various interactions (tetra/doxycycline, azithromycin and fluoroquinolones, such as baytril or marbocyl are the ones I know of that are affected). Having said that, I realise you are in a difficult situation, and if the squiggles is encouraging them to drink and stay well hydrated, then that will be doing good, so it is a balancing act. Just thought it was worth a mention in case you weren't aware.

We saw the vet on Tuesday. She agreed with our treating with ronaxan across the board, and said this needs to be for a bare minimum of two weeks. Synulox and bisolvon have also been added in for anyone showing symptoms, however mild (had already started a couple on this regime). Treatment length for those guys will depend on clinical signs, but she suggested we could be looking at anything up to six weeks. Benji (worst affected) was also started on ventolin inhaler, although has only had one dose as he got quite upset. Vet also went straight for giving fluids to Benji and a couple of old men, and gave us a bag to take and give as needed. She asked me to look into nebulising and offered to lend me their one for Benji, but by the next morning he was improving slightly and I didn't know how he'd react given his reaction to just the inhaler.

Benji was the first up to see me from his group this morning, and indeed one of the first of the whole room :D He's gone to check his coconut toy a few times for food, and had a mad frenzy of cage reorganisation, without needing to pause and recover for very long at all. He's not perfect, but sooo much better. One of his friends, Susie, is being a bit more picky with food, so I am a little concerned there, but not too much. A few others are still sounding pretty bad, and aren't quite right in themselves, but stable and certainly not critical. Indigo (previously clear) started rattling very slightly yesterday, but has only just gotten over a resp infection, and is 32 months with heart and suspected liver failure, so is more vulnerable. Evie (also previously clear) has started with a very faint rattle today.
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Thu May 16, 2013 2:31 pm

alijane wrote:
Kahini wrote:Thank you Raz, sending lots of hugs back. I'm so worried, but feel guilty feeling sorry for myself as I've been very lucky so far. I can't imagine what you and others are going through losing so many  :cry: Everything crossed for those remaining :love:
Well, your little guys couldn't be getting better care :hearts:  

Shout if there is anything I can do ...
You are far too kind, thank you my dear :hearts:  The same goes for you, of course.
NellyNoodle wrote:
Kahini wrote: Is there any further information on there about this case? I'm not an NFRS member, so obviously cannot access the forum, but would hate for there to be anything important that then hasn't been shared over here.
Some people have been reporting swollen eye symptoms, and quarantine has been clarified to 10 days from when the last rat becomes ill, though I would extend this to 2 weeks to be on the safe side.
Thanks for copying that over, it's useful to be kept in the loop :) Yeah, I'd be inclined to think 10 days from the last one getting ill is a bit on the short side. As antibiotics are being used, I would personally think it wise to wait, at the very least, a week after meds have actually finished, so you can rule out the meds masking any further infection. That opinion isn't based on clinical knowledge (I've never had to deal with something like this before) and is just my gut feeling. It may be a bit over cautious, I don't know, but I think I'd feel more comfortable with that and it is probably what I'll be doing.
sbarnett984 wrote:So you have all been in my thoughts over the last few days and I really hope that the worst is over. 
But for those of you still going through this, I drew a little piccy to hopefully make you smile. 

:love:
That is such a lovely thought, and a beautiful picture, bless you :hearts: All the messages of support from everyone to all those affected have been really heartwarming to read too :hearts:
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

lechien

Post by lechien » Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 pm

i'm only now reading this. what a tragedy, i'm so sorry for all the struggles and losses. :( xx
Aya the human waiting to meet my beautiful Zazie, sweetheart Zima, miracle Hilda, baby-face Elvira (fka Marylin), princess warrior Pünktchen, gentle Tapir, and amazing Audrey playing together on the moon made of cheese -- and Lucia ham now nibbling on that moon with them

alijane

Post by alijane » Thu May 16, 2013 3:18 pm

If anyone wants an alternative to Dr Squiggles, I am giving mine honey dissolved in water. They have one bottle of standard water and a smaller bottle of honey water. I know too much sugar is bad for them, but this seems to have kept the weaker ones ticking over in terms of calories. It is also encouraging everyone to drink. Once my ones who haven't been eating start to drink this, it seems to get their little systems going and they start to eat.

Once this is over and everyone is back on standard rations, there are going to be some mighty cross ratties ...

Rodent_Pete

Post by Rodent_Pete » Thu May 16, 2013 3:34 pm

alijane wrote: Once this is over and everyone is back on standard rations, there are going to be some mighty cross ratties ...
You'll just have to wean them off it onto Dolly mixtures....

Just got my stash of pills & potions from the vet - Gallway is still pretty poorly but he had a shot of fluids and metacam and the other boys are cuddling up with him nicely, Limericks gruntyness seems to have improved a fair bit so fingers crossed, now I have to go and play at crushing ronaxan tablets..
Formerly RodentPete

alijane

Post by alijane » Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Things seem still to be stable here.

Stockford and Tryst had their meds syringe/injected again this morning and spent the day sleeping gently in the bathroom. They were well enough to have the babies back with them - for the past few days, the babies would just have been too much. Roger gave them their meds again tonight and they are nw sleeping quietly in the rat heap.

There was some bad breathing from the upstairs boys' cage last night. It was Frankie, but it seems to have settled a bit over the day.

The two sets of samples we sent off to be cultured came back with no results - probably because we had blasted the rats with antibiotics. So no better info from me on what precisely we are dealing with here.

I still have a lot of weak, poorly rats, but we are still stable here.

lynnep

Post by lynnep » Thu May 16, 2013 10:36 pm

alijane wrote:Things seem still to be stable here.

Stockford and Tryst had their meds syringe/injected again this morning and spent the day sleeping gently in the bathroom. They were well enough to have the babies back with them - for the past few days, the babies would just have been too much. Roger gave them their meds again tonight and they are nw sleeping quietly in the rat heap.

There was some bad breathing from the upstairs boys' cage last night. It was Frankie, but it seems to have settled a bit over the day.

The two sets of samples we sent off to be cultured came back with no results - probably because we had blasted the rats with antibiotics. So no better info from me on what precisely we are dealing with here.

I still have a lot of weak, poorly rats, but we are still stable here.
Glad things seem to be stable Alison, if you need anything let us know, sending hugs xxx
Mum to Tegan, Polly, Ollie, Lulu, Freya, Lilah, Abbi, Maisie and Lexi
:rattyrainbow: Jazz, Lola, Skye, Rufus, Rosie, Valerie, Cecily, Amber, Blossom, Bella, Ruby, Milo, Max, Hettie, Erin, Lily, Diddy

HansMischief

Post by HansMischief » Thu May 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Just thought I'd update here.

Rats are fighting tonight so must be feeling better. Vet today deemed them to have clear lungs, we're now looking at URTIs, myco, etc etc.

Then there's Aether. It's touch and go, he's fought it so far but I think he's tired now. It'll break my heart.

Best wishes to the others affected.
Hannah Johnsen

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Thu May 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Things seem to have settled here a bit too, although I now have total chaos in the cage as the bullies think they have a god given right to be leaders and are creating tension and squabbles amongst those who are either recovering or grieving.
Boys:- Splash Bisto Bovril Dusty Peanut Snoopy Chance Chaser Domingo Boconuts Sausage Snafu Fubar Tarzan Taz Nigel Bruce
116 at the bridge miss you

Return to “Health”