Rat health warning to people at Alijanes last Sunday

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
lynnep

Re: Rat health warning to people at Alijanes last Sunday

Post by lynnep » Sat May 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Oh Katie please don't blame yourself for Bester, as your Mum and your vet said he was very old and poorly, he had a lovely life with you, sending big hugs xxxxx
Mum to Tegan, Polly, Ollie, Lulu, Freya, Lilah, Abbi, Maisie and Lexi
:rattyrainbow: Jazz, Lola, Skye, Rufus, Rosie, Valerie, Cecily, Amber, Blossom, Bella, Ruby, Milo, Max, Hettie, Erin, Lily, Diddy

lynnep

Post by lynnep » Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Rodent_Pete wrote:I just let Gallway go, he hadn't been eating and drinking and didn't have any spark so I didn't want to have him struggling through another weekend.
Pete, I am so very sorry for your loss :(
Mum to Tegan, Polly, Ollie, Lulu, Freya, Lilah, Abbi, Maisie and Lexi
:rattyrainbow: Jazz, Lola, Skye, Rufus, Rosie, Valerie, Cecily, Amber, Blossom, Bella, Ruby, Milo, Max, Hettie, Erin, Lily, Diddy

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Sat May 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm very sorry Pete. :(
Katie - I don't know what to think. :( I don't understand why your rats are getting ill later than everyone else. I hope you don't mind - I've copied your message for Ann to see.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Xxx thinking of you all, and hugs to all still suffering from this xxxx
Sam;

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat May 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I have had 3 with a single, bulging, gunky eye. For me, continuing with the baytril and adding in the zithro as an extra - along with a bit of soothing eye cream - seems to have worked. Within 24 hours, the swelling has gone down and the eye was getting back to normal. Stocky's was, by a long way, the worst and he was the most ill. The other 2 rats had been ill - but nothing like Stocky - and were both well on the mend when the swollen eye happened. Hope this is helpful.

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Sat May 18, 2013 2:10 pm

shiprat wrote:I'm very sorry Pete. :(
Katie - I don't know what to think. :( I don't understand why your rats are getting ill later than everyone else. I hope you don't mind - I've copied your message for Ann to see.
Perhaps because Katie didn't take any new rats home the initial 'dose' her rats were exposed to was lower (possibly transferred from clothes), so it took the bacteria longer to build up to a pathogenic level?

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sat May 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Oh Katie I'm so sorry, Amy and I both know that feeling of hopeless helplessness, but I encourage you to be strong for all your babies, they need you.
Its awful going to the cage and not getting a face full of rats and catching the ones that climb the door or leap onto your shoulder, but when just one crawls out of his/her sick bed/hammock to come see me I try to look on the bright side and tell myself that this is a step in the right direction.
As I lay in bed last night I could hear someone running on their wheel :) and a couple of the boys had a minor squabble. Something so simple was uplifting.

to every one else can I ask what sort of ages the rats are who haven't made it :( Other than a 5 month old the main losses in my groups have been around a year to 15 months old, although there have been a couple of oldies. My 30 months plus seem to be suffering less and pulling through quicker :!:

We are going to beat this peeps, be strong for your rats and continue to be strong and support each other. Love to all.
Boys:- Splash Bisto Bovril Dusty Peanut Snoopy Chance Chaser Domingo Boconuts Sausage Snafu Fubar Tarzan Taz Nigel Bruce
116 at the bridge miss you

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat May 18, 2013 5:54 pm

The ones of mine who haven't made it have been the old - so over 2 - and the weak/ill of unknown age, but not young.

But my two boys who had it really badly, but seem to be pulling through - Stockford and Tryst - are also old. Both are over 2 and Tryst has a long history of being sneezy and snuffly. There seems little rhyme or reason.

We are still stable here. Still a lot of sneezing and wheezing, but everyone eating and drinking and tootling round. I cleaned cages, which they seemed to find exciting and led to a good deal of bedding rearrangement and some low level squabbling.

Stocky put up quite a fight at the vet this afternoon when he went for his injection and fired off four big poops. Smiles all round.

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm

NellyNoodle wrote: Perhaps because Katie didn't take any new rats home the initial 'dose' her rats were exposed to was lower (possibly transferred from clothes), so it took the bacteria longer to build up to a pathogenic level?
I'm really hoping I'm in the clear now. I haven't seen anything (Dmitri has had a little sniffle, but he sometimes does and bisolven has cleared it quickly) and although River seems to get a little frailer every day there's definitely no sniffling, sneezing or struggle to breathe. I won't feel safe 'til we get into next week and even then I think I'll still be on tenterhooks for a while.
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sat May 18, 2013 6:38 pm

alijane wrote: There seems little rhyme or reason.
A lot probably depends on genetics, and past immunity to this particular form of bug - it's like flu or plague epidemics in people, there is no predictable logic to who makes it and who doesn't.

I haven't been commenting much on this thread as I have nothing useful to add, but we are thinking of you all.

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 am

I have to admit that this week I seriously thought about giving up on the rat keeping side of things, to much heartache too many tears. Then last night Amy handed me two of her week old babies to cuddle :hearts: and this morning EVERYONE came to the cage door for kisses and cuddles ( and in Perdy's case, nips) and I think I'll be around in the rat world for a little bit longer.
Boys:- Splash Bisto Bovril Dusty Peanut Snoopy Chance Chaser Domingo Boconuts Sausage Snafu Fubar Tarzan Taz Nigel Bruce
116 at the bridge miss you

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 am

Raz, I really do think anyone in your position would be doubting if it's worth it but try as hard as you can to hold onto the good times. You will have them again, you are just going through a truly hellish situation at the moment. I am sending you all my love and keep having ratty cuddles, I find they are the only medicine for this type of situation (or any for that matter). x
cosimo...bodhi...
baby woof, roo...
jack, alfie, petal, bali, bean, obe, deimos, lennie, rowan, kale, paige, elvis, bailey, rinceweed, tristessa, moore, clara, winston, grandin, sacks, frame, maslow, luria and darwin...sleep well always. x

Mulberry Jane

Post by Mulberry Jane » Sun May 19, 2013 10:35 am

stormsmuggler wrote:I have to admit that this week I seriously thought about giving up on the rat keeping side of things, to much heartache too many tears. Then last night Amy handed me two of her week old babies to cuddle :hearts: and this morning EVERYONE came to the cage door for kisses and cuddles ( and in Perdy's case, nips) and I think I'll be around in the rat world for a little bit longer.
Hopefully light at the end of a terrible nightmare. I can't imagine the devastation you all feel. Thank you for all being so open and honest about the outbreak, this could easily have become widespread had you all not been alert to the possibilities, and quick to stop contact with other rats/ratty people.
Jane @ Mulberry Rats ... and Mulberry kittens too.

http://www.mulberryrats.com

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Sun May 19, 2013 11:37 am

stormsmuggler wrote:I have to admit that this week I seriously thought about giving up on the rat keeping side of things, to much heartache too many tears. Then last night Amy handed me two of her week old babies to cuddle :hearts: and this morning EVERYONE came to the cage door for kisses and cuddles ( and in Perdy's case, nips) and I think I'll be around in the rat world for a little bit longer.
I have been feeling that since the news of the bordetella broke, coming right after finding out Huxley's neck lump wasn't an abscess as we thought but an inoperable mass, and that's without having gone through what you and Amy and others have. It has been a difficult year already here.

This morning, to put a bowl of River's special food in and see him do his version of sprint out and tuck into it...... :hearts:
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

alijane

Post by alijane » Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm

How are we all doing today?

Things remain stable here. Stockford and Tryst are making slow, but steady, progress. They are eating more and Stocky even climbed up onto his ladder to survey the world.

There is a lot more normal behaviour ... a lot of chasing the Callisto babies in the Abode ... some major digging from Stompy's group and a fight over a peanut in the SRS by the window ...

I do hope things are at least as good with all you other folk :hearts:

Return to “Health”