Rapid Renal Failure? ETA looking for better vet in Derby

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Birds_Will_Fly

Rapid Renal Failure? ETA looking for better vet in Derby

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

My boy Throttle has been drinking a lot the last few months, I put it down to possible start of renal failure as he's around 20months. I also noticed some weight loss and on weighing him today noticed he'd lost 206g within 4 weeks.

This morning I found him hunched over, puffed up and half asleep inbetween this state he has been drinking huge amounts of water (10mins at the bottle each time)

I booked him in at the vets who had a good look at him but could find nothing out of sort, He put it down to renal failure and gave me some antibiotics (baytril) to be on the safe side.

He's been the same all day and I just feel somethings not right, I'm not even sure he's going to make it through the night...

Any advice? :(
Birtleby, Yarrow, Wolfram, Myrth, Tudor, Spook & Rommel

RIP Throttle, Modo, Batty, Dorian Gray.

acapae_wolf

Re: Rapid Renal Failure?

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Did the vet do a urine test including specific gravity on a refractometer?
Rats only show real symptoms of renal failure when they've lost about 75% of function, which is why it shows seriously when it does. Actual kidney failure isn't very common; age-related decline is though. But if the symptoms have been going on for a few months (what did previous vet visits suggest?) then I wouldn't be sure to jump to kidney failure as I can't imagine a rat actually with untreated renal failure to last months. That is a massive drop in weight though :(

eta - do you have a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet? There's a section on feeding rats with kidney failure :)
Last edited by acapae_wolf on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Did the vet check his urine at all? His symptoms could be caused by a few different things. I would urgently ask the vet to check the specific gravity (concentration) of his urine, this needs to be done on a refractometer rather than a dipstick. Also to check the urine for glucose, as he could be diabetic.

If he has renal failure, baytril will do nothing, and will actually put further pressure on his kidneys. He would need fortekor, possibly supplements such as ipakitine and Rubenal, and a suitable diet.

For tonight, keep him warm but not too warm, encourage him to keep his fluids up, offer lots of different foods but preferably nothing too high in sugar or protein (although any calories are better than none if he's in a bad way). And vet urgently tomorrow for proper tests.

Fingers crossed for him :luck:

ETA: I'm slower at typing than Beri, sorry for repeating info
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

Birds_Will_Fly

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Vet didn't do any tests just had a feel and a listen to him today, He's been on ipakitine since January time. Vet said see if antibiotics help but if not the. There's nothing they can do for the renal failure.

He seemed his fine playful self yesterday but today he's lifeless. Can renal failure come on that quick?!

Birds_Will_Fly

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm

I did ask for a urine test but was told it was pointless on rats. Hes still eating and drinking fine and on a kidney friendly diet plus ipakatine.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Not sure how they think they can diagnose something like that without testing! :shock: If you post your location someone might be able to recommend a vet/ practice who value rats a little more?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Birds_Will_Fly

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm in derby but can drive so I can travel with reasonable distance.

Note: title edited to help find a better vet.

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Not sure how they think they can diagnose something like that without testing! :shock: If you post your location someone might be able to recommend a vet/ practice who value rats a little more?
This. I'm pretty shocked by the vet's response to be honest - why is a urine test pointless on a rat? And why can they not do anything for renal failure - what do they do for a dog or cat? I'd definitely find a new vet.

As for whether it can come on this quickly - I think the point to remember is that it hasn't come on quickly. To have been losing weight for that long, something's been wrong for at least as long as that. So, whatever the problem, he's been ill for some time, and he's just reached a threshold where he can't maintain normal behaviour anymore. Rats avoid showing signs of ill health for as long as possible, however rotten they are feeling, as they are prey animals and don't want to seem vulnerable.

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm

How is he now? Keeping everything crossed he made it through the night, and that you have managed to track down a better vet to help you :luck:

Birds_Will_Fly

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 pm

He seems to have perked up this am, no luck in finding better vet but my current vet is doing a urine test tomorrow.

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:01 pm

That's good news :)

If you start a new topic with a title something like 'vet wanted in Derby', you may get more people spotting the request and being able to help. It's good that your vet has agreed to do a urine test, but I would still be concerned whether they know what they are looking for, and how willing they would be to prescribe treatment. You know your vet better than I do, so maybe they are someone willing to listen and learn, but I think from what I've heard you would be better off with someone else.

Given the severity of the situation, I also would want the test done today, not tomorrow, so appropriate treatment/supportive therapy can be started sooner rather than later.

Birds_Will_Fly

Re: Rapid Renal Failure? ETA looking for better vet in Derby

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:51 pm

I've been back to my vets today who did a gravity urine test and dipstick test, Followed by another sort of dipstick test which showed Throttle to be diabetic.

They have now put him on insulin injections twice aday and to be reviewed in one week.

Kahini

Re: Rapid Renal Failure? ETA looking for better vet in Derby

Post by Kahini » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm really pleased you have a proper diagnosis now, hopefully being on appropriate treatment will really make a difference to him :) You may find this article on diabetes helpful, in particular for the dietary advice, as a suitable diet for diabetes can differ quite a lot from the typical kidney friendly diet.

Let us know how he gets on :luck:

Return to “Health”