Diabetic rat

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Birds_Will_Fly

Diabetic rat

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:20 pm

My rat was diagnosed with diabetes back in may he was put on caninsulin U40 2.5ml this was then diluted in 1ml of saline.

0.5ml of caninsulin dialuted in 1ml of saline.

We then started to give doses of 0.05ml twice daily of the diluted insulin and increased as needed (my vet doesn't do blood test he only dips urine and increases dose if he's drinking increasingly more, not putting weight on or very lethargic)

My rat is currently on 0.20ml of the diluted insulin twice daily but although he has improved I still don't think he's as well as he could be. I accidently caught him when doing his claws last week so tested his blood sugar with my monitoring machine and it read 26.3...

I have rang all the vets in my local area and non have ever treated diabetes in rats.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a diabetic rat and how theirs was treated so I can put this information to my vet. Thank you :)
Birtleby, Yarrow, Wolfram, Myrth, Tudor, Spook & Rommel

RIP Throttle, Modo, Batty, Dorian Gray.

neotoma

Re: Diabetic rat

Post by neotoma » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:20 am

I can't really help as I've never had a diabetic rat, but I'll bump this for you, as I know some other people have.

There is also an article on it here http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48

Return to “Health”