How on earth do you bandage a rat!?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Miss Aislin

How on earth do you bandage a rat!?

Post by Miss Aislin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Cate had a lumpectomy yesterday and she will NOT leave her wound alone, she stayed at the vets overnight for obs because she was bothering it, I got her home a couple of hours ago and I literally cannot stop her chewing her wound! I tried putting her in a sock - she got out of it, I tried wrapping gauze around her - she got out of it, I tried sellotaping bandages/socks to her... she got out of it! They can't put a collar on her while she's conscious.

I'm at a loss, she's made the wound bleed but she's not managed to open it (by pulling stitches or wearing through the glue) but I'm very worried. How do I cover it up?
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.
RIP to the many at the bridge xx

CheeseBairn

Re: How on earth do you bandage a rat!?

Post by CheeseBairn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Ratties: Betty, Wilma, Matilda, Cherry, Olive, Arabella, Milly, Pumpkin, and Zephyrs Pebbles, Keme, Iris and Rose.
Bunnies Bea, Bugsy and Chestnut Guin pigs Cookie, Mickey and Storm.
Reiki for people and pets, pet sitting, pet photography: http://www.willowbirch.co.uk

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:27 pm

CheeseBairn wrote:I used this stuff: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... ge#p119628

Good luck!
Looked it up and none of my local pet supply shops seem to have it ;/ so I'd have to order it in which isn't really going to help for right now but it's something I'll definitely be considering for any future ops! Thank you!
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:31 pm

For now I'd try a chemists for a wrist support bandage (a child's one if needs be) or something. I can't think of anything else you'll be able to get asap at the end of the working day.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:For now I'd try a chemists for a wrist support bandage (a child's one if needs be) or something. I can't think of anything else you'll be able to get asap at the end of the working day.
I have one of those (*edit: It was an ankle support bandage, so it's probably a bit bigger than a wrist support...) and I tried her in that too but she manages to get her front paws out and get it off :/ Really at a loss. Like I said it's not an emergency (yet...) as she's not got the wound open, she's just bothering it :/ She's been given metacam to stop it hurting

rachel1410

Post by rachel1410 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I had a girl who had to be re-stitched twice, glued again you name it. She was such a pain, but also my heart rat so I couldnt be mad at her!

We found Manuka on a gauze swab on the wound, then that netting stuff (your vet should have it). THEN.. a childs sock. It was my mum who pointed out that the high leg school socks that little girls wear are narrow and have elastic in them to hold them up! I used a rat length section from the top of the sock with the elastic, cut leg holes and shoved her in. THEN..I realised she was using her back nails to catch the sock and pull it off so I wrapped the contraption in paper tape (the medical stuff in first aid kits) so she couldnt get purchase...THEN, as we had other naughty rats trying to aid the bad girl, I sprayed a cotton ball with chew stopper spray (bitter bite) and dabbed it on the paper tape/sock. I won :D Good Luck :luck:

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Thankfully she SEEMS to have stopped bothering it. It's a little bloody, but it's dried and she's not actively attacking it. *fingers crossed*

annc

Post by annc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I used cohesive bandage - I put one finger between the rat and the bandage so it wasn't too tight. It did need four hands to put it on. Taking it off, I tried on my own - but wished I hadn't!
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Return to “Health”