Old Manz!

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Skooteewu

Old Manz!

Post by Skooteewu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 am

My Gorgeous old Boy Who is 28months has a very dry flakey coat. He's still bright eyed, Loves a playout & is Generally well. He constantly grooms, & seems itchy when I stroke or Brush him. I make sure he has lots of High Calorie treats plus Nutrical. I've also changed his cage layout to enable him to reach litter box, food bowl etc. I also have Low hanging Beds & Hammocks so he can climb in with ease :) I know he dosent have mites etc SO I'm assuming his old age is partly to do with his dry itchy skin. He also gets vitamin supplements in his drinking water & Salmon/cod liver oil in his food. Could Younger cage mates be causing him stress. He lives with an older boy of 2, two 12mth boys & an 8 week old. All the Boys get on great, no fighting Although one of the 12mth boys is bouncy & cheeky and My old Boy has pinned him & pulled his fur out in the past When youngster dared to pinch his treat. I know he's getting on & I'm a Fussy Ratty mum BUT any help, Advice would be welcome :love: :olddumbobuck: :love:

fuschia

Re: Old Manz!

Post by fuschia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 pm

I think I read that flakey skin can be due to kidney problems? But I may be totally wrong! Hopefully someone else will be along soon :luck:
No more ratties
Dogs - Ollie & Mimi :hearts:

Skooteewu

Post by Skooteewu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:42 pm

His skin isn't flakey & he dosent drink much, he just grooms non stop.....That's why I think it's Stress related. He's just hidden all the biscuits I've given him & his mates :D Just letting ' the Boys ' know ' He's still the Boss :))) :love: :hearts: :love:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 am

If you're not worried about his skin, what is it you're asking for advice on?

Having said that, although stress can trigger problems, it's important to still manage them rather than using that as a cause for dismissal. None of my rats have ever had dry itchy skin in old age. What makes you say that you know he doesn't have mites? If his symptoms are ones that would make you think mites in a younger rat then I would treat him - it's probably the first thing a vet would recommend too. For one thing, rats get mite flare-ups if their immune system dips for any reason, and one of the key causes of that can be stress ;)

Unrelated to your old boy, but is your 8 week old getting company of another kitten?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Skooteewu

Post by Skooteewu » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:32 am

I always have Harkamectin on hand & I have treated my old Boy & He still Grooms excessively. That's why I wondered if it was ' stress' as I've never seen his behaviour in my Rats before. My 8wk old does have a same age companion :love:

Return to “Health”