Quick deterioration

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Birds_Will_Fly

Quick deterioration

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:09 pm

I have a 2 year old rat who was healthy until 2 weeks ago. He's lost weight very quickly and also become very lethargic, I have noticed he is having trouble using his back legs and movement in his back paws seems restricted. He's been on baytril for 2 weeks. Vet has found no obvious reason for illness? Vet has offered to do bloods which I have refused at the moment given his age. He's currently on a low protein diet which is supplemented with ipakitine. Any ideas what the problem could be other than 'old age' ?
Birtleby, Yarrow, Wolfram, Myrth, Tudor, Spook & Rommel

RIP Throttle, Modo, Batty, Dorian Gray.

Caza66

Re: Quick deterioration

Post by Caza66 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your poorly ratty. It's awful when these things happen, especially when you don't know what it is. I'm not too sure what is wrong but I think the weak back legs sounds like hld. Not sure whether hld causes lethargy.

Hopefully bumping this up for you so somebody with more experience can help.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:57 pm

I would say kidney issues, given his age and the symptoms, but not sure what more you can do? Could be a brain tumour, might be worth trying steroids just to see if they make a difference?

Trish 1981

Post by Trish 1981 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:58 pm

He may have kidney problems or maybe a UTI. Has the vet tested his urine?

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:48 am

Trish 1981 wrote:He may have kidney problems or maybe a UTI. Has the vet tested his urine?
I agree with this. I've seen a very quick deterioration in rats which had HLD symptoms and upon testing it's been discovered they have a UTI. Once the UTIs been treated, although they still have slight HLD symptoms if old, it's at a normal progression level. So in future I'm going to test urine a lot more on first HLD-like symptoms. It may not always be, but it's something that recently made me stop and think.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Birds_Will_Fly

Post by Birds_Will_Fly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:30 am

Yes urine was dipped and showed nothing. He's currently on baytril and metronidazole. No excess drinking and he's still eating fine.

I've noticed he's very unbalanced could it possibly be a stroke? No sign of any head tilt.

What steroids would you advise?
Birtleby, Yarrow, Wolfram, Myrth, Tudor, Spook & Rommel

RIP Throttle, Modo, Batty, Dorian Gray.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

acapae_wolf wrote:
Trish 1981 wrote:He may have kidney problems or maybe a UTI. Has the vet tested his urine?
I agree with this. I've seen a very quick deterioration in rats which had HLD symptoms and upon testing it's been discovered they have a UTI. Once the UTIs been treated, although they still have slight HLD symptoms if old, it's at a normal progression level. So in future I'm going to test urine a lot more on first HLD-like symptoms. It may not always be, but it's something that recently made me stop and think.
That's interesting to know. That's what's great about this forum, a great wealth of knowledge.

OP hope your ratty soon improves.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Health”