My rat needs oxygen

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Melaney

My rat needs oxygen

Post by Melaney » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:40 am

Just got back from the vet. My rat has a respitory infection that caused abscess on lungs. She gave me 2 antibiotics, told me to give him a nebulizor 3 times a day, and if I could keep him on oxygen. He spent the entire day at the hospital in a oxygen chamber. My vet said to buy a lg Tupperware container and put holes on the top to feed the tubes through for the nebulizor and oxygen. The diagram she gave me showed a bunch of holes drilled into lid. But this was for the nebulizor treatment.

My question is. When not running the nebulizor should I cover all the holes, if just doing oxygen. We drilled about 16 holes in the lid. And he's supposed to stay on the oxygen for 2 days.

Has anyone else had to do this, and build your own container to administer. Any help would be appreciated. I will call vet tomorrow with same question, just wanted others advise as well.

KateR

Re: My rat needs oxygen

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:04 am

If they've needed oxygen they've stayed at the vet. We have an emergency oxygen tank but only for transporting them to the vet rather than a long term thing.
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Any update? :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm intrigued about this. We have a sports oxygen canister which cost about £25 but we keep it for absolute emergencies, e.g. if a rat is in severe respiratory distress on the way to the emergency vet, as in reality the contents in the canister will only last 5 mins. Storing any larger quantity of oxygen in the house would be a fire hazard. Oxygen therapy at the vet has also always been horrendously expensive. Where are you getting your oxygen from? Hope your rat is ok x
Owned by Ruby, Jimmy, and Woodrow.
Love to those who are no longer with us: Simon, Rosie, Angus, Coco, Rowan, Willow, Oscar, Ralf, Beetroot, Henry, Ollie, Ted, Terrah, Banksy, Basil, Billy, and Bruce.

Return to “Health”