Help - Rat Eye Just Closed up

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Help - Rat Eye Just Closed up

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Guys,

Me again! My little girls eye was fine an hour ago. She has been asleep. I just woke her up for a quick hug and noticed her eye was closed. One was open, one was shut. This panicked her (as well as me!). I tried licking my finger and then getting water to try and bathe the eye.

No red signs at all. Then………. after she did a couple of scratching moves it opened again.

I have never seen this before. Is it common? Going to do my usual Google work but thought would come straight to the pro's!

THANK YOU!!!

StormySkye

Re: Help - Rat Eye Just Closed up

Post by StormySkye » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:10 am

Could be a small amount of dried porphyrin (red discharge) causing it to stick. Have you got any sterile saline? If not, chemists sell it, and if it happens again you can use a cotton ball and saline to bathe it. Or just warm water would do.

Rats often produce porphyrin whilst sleeping but clean it off as soon as they wake so we rarely see it unless something is wrong, causing excess amounts. So it could just be a one-off, hopefully!

In this case I would wait and see if it happens again before worrying too much.
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:53 am

StormySkye wrote:Could be a small amount of dried porphyrin (red discharge) causing it to stick. Have you got any sterile saline? If not, chemists sell it, and if it happens again you can use a cotton ball and saline to bathe it. Or just warm water would do.

You can pick up Viscotears without prescription from the chemist :)
Anthony & Edward, Liam and Spartan

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:18 am

Anthony wrote:You can pick up Viscotears without prescription from the chemist :)
I could've sworn that said "Discotears" and I was imagining bottles of saline that play Staying Alive by the Bee Gees when you open them and have flashing lights. :shock: I really need to find my glasses...
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you so much. I will get some disco tears! Pebbles looked very confused as to why she only had one eye, but once it was sorted seemed really happy!!

Thanks again!!

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi,

Hows Pebbles doing? Has this happened again since?
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi ipt100,

Thank you for the concern. Extremely kind! Pebbles has had no eye problem since, coughing however still remains! :(

Thank you!!!!

Return to “Health”