Bisolvon query

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
StormySkye

Bisolvon query

Post by StormySkye » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 am

I did a search and I've found the dosage, but I don't know which type to get. Tablet or Liquid? And is it the children's one, the chesty dry one, etc? Too many options :shock:

Thanks in advance!
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

fuschia

Re: Bisolvon query

Post by fuschia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Mine always comes as powder in a little sachet from the vet :?
No more ratties
Dogs - Ollie & Mimi :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:52 pm

I've only had the powder too. But then from talking to Neo I know the format of some of the drugs you guys get is pretty different.

I guess the main question is how big are the tablets/ suspension compared to the dose needed, and does the suspension have a strongly gross taste?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:42 pm

fuschia wrote:Mine always comes as powder in a little sachet from the vet :?
Oh! In Australia it is a human thing at the chemist, you buy it over the counter.

Now I don't know what the dosage or anything would be... I'm confused now! :?
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Could you try PM ing one of the other members in Australia? Neotoma might possibly know?
No more ratties
Dogs - Ollie & Mimi :hearts:

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 pm

From a quick look around, the UK vet bisolvon is: "Powder for oral solution or in-feed use. Each gram contains 10 mg bromhexine hydrochloride per gram." Which looking at the Aussie site does look like the same active ingredient as the chesty cough ones. Unfortunately seeing as my dosing of the UK powder is "a small pinch", even if they are more or less the same thing, I can't help with dosage.

ETA I'm also fairly dozy tonight so the above may be wrong :lol:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:58 pm

According to the BSAVA Small Animal Formulary, dosage of bromhexine for 'small mammals' is 0.3mg/animal once daily. Based on the doses listed for other drugs in there, 'small mammals' seems to cover ferrets, rabbits and rodents, but it isn't broken down further than that for this drug, and it's per animal rather than per kg or anything.

You want one with bromhexine (as Mayamy says, this is the active ingredient in UK bisolvon powder). From what I can tell (but please double check for yourself), this means potentially suitable products would be: Bisolvon® Chesty Liquid, Bisolvon® Chesty Kids Strawberry Liquid, Bisolvon® Chesty Forte Liquid, Bisolvon® Chesty Forte Soluble Tablets, Bisolvon® Chesty Forte Tablets. I haven't studied the ingredients lists to check for anything harmful, but from a brief look they all seem fine. Which one is most suitable will depend on taste and ease of dosing, as Beri said. The important thing is that you don't want Bisolvon® Dry Liquid or Bisolvon® Dry Pastilles - these contain dextromethorphan instead, which is a cough suppressant. I got the information from these information leaflets.

Hope I've managed to help rather than confuse!
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:30 am

Having looked at the amounts of bromhexine in the products, I think you'd be better off with one of the liquids in terms of dosing. Both the adult liquids contain menthol, which I'm not too sure about using, so I would personally opt for the kids liquid. I agree with the suggestion of asking other Australian rat people though :luck:
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks everyone, very helpful!! Will PM Neotoma now :D

Return to “Health”