Blood in urine

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Rach210

Blood in urine

Post by Rach210 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Leon, our heart rat, is 30 months old now and very frail with severe hld. He has been doing so well but we just noticed that he has quite a lot of fresh red blood in his urine.

We will of course get him seen by a vet but wondered what the likely cause is and whether it's likely to be treatable? We'd rather not pts when he seems content and not in pain.
Owned by - Lola, Buffy, Willow, Pixie, Xavier, Sheldon, Leon, Nim, Giles, Boris, CharlieTheSecond, Roland, Raisin, Mac, Dennis
Gone but not forgotten - Jack, V, Simon, Charlie, Kammi, Penny, Fluffs, Neo, Daisy, Lissy, Xander,

KateR

Re: Blood in urine

Post by KateR » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 am

UTI, tumour. I'd try ABs first.
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:00 am

Yep, UTI is probably the most common cause, which should be quite treatable. Most people use septrin for UTIs, personally I've always used either synulox or marbocyl and had good results with them. I also usually give metacam alongside, as it really helps to reduce the inflammation and the discomfort that is likely to accompany it.

The worst case of blood in the urine we saw was caused by bladder stones. And, as mentioned, there could also be a tumour.

Get the vet to have a really thorough feel of the bladder and, as long as there aren't obvious stones or lumps, opt for treating for a UTI :luck:
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks. Having to send my husband since I'm at the hospital with our baby (also called Leon, can you tell we like the name? ). Husband loves the rats but is much less knowledgeable about rat health and much less assertive at the vets so he will be going with instructions on what to say.
Owned by - Lola, Buffy, Willow, Pixie, Xavier, Sheldon, Leon, Nim, Giles, Boris, CharlieTheSecond, Roland, Raisin, Mac, Dennis
Gone but not forgotten - Jack, V, Simon, Charlie, Kammi, Penny, Fluffs, Neo, Daisy, Lissy, Xander,

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29 am

You're welcome :) Hope you and baby Leon are doing ok, and that ratty Leon is feeling better soon :luck:
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Apparently the vet examined Leon very thoroughly and feels that either he has a UTI, or potentially a tumour which could be pressing on his spine and kidneys, causing his hld and also the blood in his urine. There was mention of further tests if the antibiotics don't work, but since the test results wouldn't affect treatment then we've decided not to go down that route.

The vet insisted on baytril as the best option. No metacam was given although we do have a little left over from a couple of months ago. I thought metacam was hard on the kidneys though so would it be ok to give that?

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Just noticed that the dosage given by the vet is 0.1ml every 24 hours. I do have the correct formula for working our dosages given to me by another vet so I've worked out the actual dosage for a rat Leon's weight Just to check though, it should be twice daily shouldn't it?

Return to “Health”