What dose of septrin

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Looby Loo

What dose of septrin

Post by Looby Loo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:01 pm

One of my rats has started with snuffles. I have ran out of baytril but have some septrin unfortunately the dosage is that faint I can't read what amount to give.
Can anyone help me
The septrim is the paediatric

acapae_wolf

Re: What dose of septrin

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 pm

I wouldn't just swap to a completely different drug on a whim as baytril and septrin are very different AB families. How long was she on the baytril for, and had you seen any improvement? Either way, you need to go back to your vet :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm not sure I follow correctly.

When you say your rats started with snuffles, do you mean today? Or do you mean you've already been given Baytril and run out?

If you do mean they've only started displaying any symptoms then I wouldn't do anything... Rats like humans can have their off days, but you need to allow their immune systems a chance to fight it before going in with abs imo. Unless the symptoms are bad then I would personally give them a couple of days before medicating.
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:24 pm

Oh, I read it as the first (i.e. not a long enough course given by vet). But I see the ambiguity now! Clarification would be good...
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Looby Loo

Post by Looby Loo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Freda began sniffles shortly after I acquired her she was a rescue and very small.Her wheezing got worse after a few days so I took he to vets. She started on baytril 0.08ml. Things started to improve after 4 days. I kept on with the treatment for 10 days now the wheezing has come back, it was the bank holiday and I only had septrin in which I have used in the past. I spoke to vet today she told me to use the septrin for 7 days.
Is this the best medication or are there others that are better. Will it take time to clear???? She seems better in herself and more lively

Return to “Health”