Giving a rat medicine tips please :)

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
starstar

Giving a rat medicine tips please :)

Post by starstar » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:56 pm

As title :)

I have to give Meg .8ml setrin daily while she is here. Day one was easy, I got some strawberry syrup (the stuff you pour over ice cream) on a spoon and let her have some, then I gave her the medicine mixed in with the strawberry syrup and she refused so I syringed in the medicine then gave her more strawberry syrup job done :) day 2 she had a bit of strawberry syrup, had medicine spat some out and got very squeaky then refused the strawberry syrup (apology food) Today she refused strawberry syrup and really didnt want her medicine (I am trying to syringe it in as we have tried it in food and she smells it) and I ended up getting covered in scratches and upset poor little Meg. However we did free range straight after and she did clean off the medicine she got on her.

Is there a good way to medicate a rat? a food she wont be able to smell the medicine on. Also is there a good way to hold them for syringing medicine in, I have her on my lap so her back legs are on my lap and lift her so I can hold her but support her head and my son holding her body while stroking her.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

rattypetrolhead

Re: Giving a rat medicine tips please :)

Post by rattypetrolhead » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Septrin is notoriously difficult to get in them! The only advice I can give is to go through different things to hide it in, in a trial and error approach...
Pip Imp Elf

Plus Silly Dog (puggle)

Too many gone, but never forgotten x

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:08 pm

I find a small blob of Nutella works with most meds/rats.

One tip I think I recall for direct syringing, is not to squirt in over 0.1ml at a time cause they can't manage it. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
No more ratties
Dogs - Ollie & Mimi :hearts:

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:11 pm

I have, in my time, tried pretty much everything :roll: If they don't want to take their meds, they won't and it all gets very stressful. I have taken to the tough love approach, which is to wrap them firmly in a towel, hold them upright and syringe meds on through the side of their mouths. You go behind the teeth and it goes down their throats. I hold them upright/slightly tilted back until they swallow. Then I give them a sweet.

To take the edge of vile meds, I sometimes mx with Ribena. You measure meds into the syringe and then suck up a bit of undiluted Ribena. It is a trade off, though, between taking the taste of meds away and giving them less to swallow.

Usually, I just syringe it ... they hate me for a minute ... I hand over the Hob Nob ... they get over it ;)

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:11 pm

fuschia wrote:I find a small blob of Nutella works with most meds/rats.

One tip I think I recall for direct syringing, is not to squirt in over 0.1ml at a time cause they can't manage it. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Yes - syringe slowly, so they don't choke.

starstar

Post by starstar » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks :) I am doing it really slowly a tiny bit at a time. Its such a shame I have to be such a meanie to her as she is so sweet and forgives me really quickly. I will ask hubby to pop up the shop for nutella see if I can bribe her with that :), that will please hubby :lol:
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Yep, Septrin can be a mare as it smells strongly of banana and tastes of it too. What I do is confusion tactics : give them it in something first time, then immediately give them something else to eat. That way they don't know what made them feel icky. Next dose gets mixed into something different, immediately followed by food and so on. This helps to circumvent their food aversion system.
Its not foolproof but its worked for me, and once you've done a couple of days ABs the ickiness tends to go away (in humans anyway, I assume the same for rats).
I use banana soya yoghurts and Alpro dark chocolate pudding alternately.

Since she has already decided to avoid it, theres always lock them in a carrier with nothing else until they eat it, seems mean, but it can work and is less stressful for both of you.
Also, 0.8ml is a lot to hide in one go, can it be split into a morning 0.4 and evening 0.4 ? Might be worth finding out.
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

starstar

Post by starstar » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:35 pm

hmmm splitting it into two .4ml doses would be a lot easier, anyone know if that is ok?
Ferret mum to..

alijane

Post by alijane » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:15 pm

With ABs, I split doses. Rats have fast metabolisms, so two small doses can be better than one. If you can get two small doses in and struggle with one, I would go for two.

Charlote

Post by Charlote » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:19 pm

We've found a bit of chocolate mousse, mixed with the boys meds, which has been either Baytril or Metacam, works wonders. Btw, the cheap mousse pots usually come in packs of 6, which means you get to help eat up the rest of it! :lol:
We're now the proud owners of 2 wonderful dumbo ratties, Dennis & Reg :love: Plus our beautiful 7 year old Birman, Teddy, aka the boss! :lol:

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:13 am

Over-ripe banana has worked with septrin in the past.

Nowadays though, I'd ask for the tablet version (it may not be branded as septrin, but vets can certainly get a tablet version of the same drug), and crush and dose as powder. Much much easier. If you have real problems getting the meds in, even with the dose split, it may be worth ringing the vet and asking.

ronelrat

Post by ronelrat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 am

I have never given my rats setrin, but managed to hide bad tasting meds in Ensure before. The vanilla seemed to be more popular with the rats.

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:15 am

I've learned to never give them something without the meds in, if you're going to use it for meds. So for example, my rats have never had chocolate pudding unless there's meds in it. That way, they can't tell if it is "different" to usual.

Some rats love savoury flavours, like a bit of fish paste goes down a treat, or natural yogurt. My current trick is a tiiiny little piece of bread, meds squirted on, then covered with a tiny blob of cream cheese. They obsess over it! And again, they never get it without the meds, so they don't think "oooh hold on, this smells different to usual..." ;)
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

alijane

Post by alijane » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 am

Also, a bit of psychology works. I give the other rats their treat first, so that, by the time the rat having the meds gets theirs, they are hopping mad! The others are finishing off theirs, so the treat needs to be wolfed down :lol:

Return to “Health”