Door Stop Rubber Nibbled - Will I ever learn??

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Door Stop Rubber Nibbled - Will I ever learn??

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:36 am

Guys,

Me again. The world's thickest parent! I am down on my knees daily cleaning the floor ready to transform my room into a rat play place. Nothing left on that floor ever!!

However my bright orange rubber door stop that I always move was forgotten and left in with us. Whilst they were whizzing about I just missed what they were doing. I did not stop them, but one of them has nibbled a few pieces (less than half size of small finger nail).

Judging my teeth marks looks like they have taken a few goes. Main concern (given all my previous posts) was choking - however I did not see them start or stop, so they clearly have swallowed it. Also they have had their carrots, broccoli and loopy loops so they are still eating.

I am guessing its just a case of waiting? I have read on other forums of rats eating all sorts and being fine.

Am I just been a worrying bad father again or do I need to do something? I am going to try find out how long it takes for food (and rubber door stops) to pass through their tiny bowel systems.

Am literally kicking myself!!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

PS. The scratched face fur situation is resolving and I have a vet visit on Wednesday..

HannahF

Re: Door Stop Rubber Nibbled - Will I ever learn??

Post by HannahF » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 am

I'm sure they'll be fine. My rats have eaten all sorts of things they shouldn't have like wires, walls, conkers and steroid cream, worst case they've ended up with slightly squify stomachs and the runs for a day or so. A rubber door stop is probably one of the last harmful things they could have got to.
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks again HannahF. I feel like such an idiot! I check the floor as I eat a lot of chillies and their seeds seem to get all over the place. Another lesson for me.

I am amazed at the things your pets have munched! I would be bald with worry! I keep forgetting they are one of life's survivors!

My chinchilla (who lived beyond 18) once chewed a live wire and blew two fingers off. He was fine. As a child I was accepting of that, and now I am worried about thin slivers of rubber clogging up their insides! :)

I can hear them crunching on their nuggets!

Thanks again. Have a great week.

jessicat

Post by jessicat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 pm

My girls have eaten parts of my shoes, the wall, and sequins before; they're usually in mega big trouble because of this! :roll:
Jess, honorary rat to: Darktan, Piccadilly, Yonkers, Tash, Lovecraft Trillian & Nyota, Rattray Sansa & Arya, and Muddiwarx Willow & Pippin.

Want to know more about the http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk? Email me at yrcpublicity at gmail.com

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 pm

If they did swallow it, as Hannah said, rubber is inert. But chances are they ground it up small and didn't.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi jessicat - I think if I left anything in grabbing distance it would be pinched! They seem to love nibbling everything. My Chinchilla used to enjoy wooded pegs so I bought some of the old 'dolly' style ones and they shred them. I was not sure if wood fibres were making their little coughs worse so they are on a temporary ban!

Hi acapae_wolf - yep they definitely ate the rubber. Not sure who the culprit is. Both are just starting their afternoon naps. I will be on droppings watch today. Just hoping that they eject it without problems. Its such a tiny piece I am hoping that they ground it into smaller bits. Its quite a tough rubber material they have eaten.

Still kicking myself - school boy error...

THANK YOU!!

Cricket

Post by Cricket » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 pm

If you keep worrying every time they eat someone 'bad' they'll get the better of you ;)
- Emma

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 pm

What makes you think they definitely ate it? Rats don't usually swallow things like wood and plastic that they've chewed.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad wrote:Hi acapae_wolf - yep they definitely ate the rubber.
Why do you say they definitely did? Rats don't usually swallow the things they chew.

eta - post didn't submit and I went away, so sort of x-posted with Mary :lol:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Cricket - yep you are right but I have never worried about anything as much in my life! I have changed my life to look after these girls!! If i could bubble wrap them I would do! :) Point taken though. Will try worry less. Have just been super licked so they seem pretty happy!!

Hi Cyber Ratty and acapae_wolf - well I cannot find the bright orange bits. I have been back on my hands and knees! I can find all the bits of carrot and cucumber that they discard. Since posting last time I have found two pin head sized pieces of rubber (not carrots!) and that makes me think it must have been ground down to a fine (isn) pulp.

I recall nibbling erasers at school and enjoying the taste, sounds weird! Maybe the rubber smell was something they liked. Will just need to keep my eye on the other ends.

Does anyone know how long materials take to pass through rats? They seem to always have a good pile of droppings. Guess with humans it must be around 24 hours? So hopefully this time Tuesday I will know they have not bunged up any holes.

After reading the eating of shoes, sequins and conkers - I am less worried as sounds like they have form for pinching stuff!!

T H A N K Y O U Rodent Owning Friends!! I am amazed Red Fraggle has not told me off yet for worrying! :)

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm

I would not be checking the poo, they sound like they're fine! If my boys chew things - which they do often, they make it tiny and near impossible to see. I stupidly left a plastic bag too close to their cage once, and they had used some kind of weird inspector gadgety arms to pull it into the cage and have a good nom - weird boys! But they were fine. Try and relax a bit about them - enjoy them x
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

hannahbear

Post by hannahbear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Don't worry, during a visit to see my kittens I had a nibble taken out of the rubber strap of my watch! :lol:
Hannah;
Samson, Ralph, Kit, Jeffrey, Benny and Sherlock :hearts:
Fluke, my gorgeous pooch!
:halo: Rory

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad wrote:Does anyone know how long materials take to pass through rats? They seem to always have a good pile of droppings. Guess with humans it must be around 24 hours? So hopefully this time Tuesday I will know they have not bunged up any holes
I'm not sure how long they take to digest, but with something like rubber they tend to bite bits off and grind it up to dust rather than actually eat it. Yes they've probably digested a small amount but in the fine form it would have been ground into, it's highly unlikely to be enough to be a cause for concern. You can actually buy natural rubber specifically as a pet toy, considering that your door stop is probably just rubber with a small amount of orange dye it's very unlikely to be something harmful. I probably wouldn't have worried about taking it out of the room for free range if I'm honest.
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad

Post by Single-Parent-Rat-Dad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Tori30 - I have seen those inspector gadget arms before on my girls, in fact to my earlier point that is how Misty (Chinchilla) blew two fingers off by reaching cables!! I will heed your advice and not be inspecting the droppings!

hannahbear - I have a rubber strapped watch too and they have had a go - in fact not much they don't try nibble. When they are washing my face though they are very careful with my eyelids. No doubt a future post will be me saying they have eaten an eyelid!

Hi HannahF - that could be right as I found a few rubber granules! Looks like I have been lucky again. They had a lovely bowl of Broccoli / Cucumber and Carrots too (although they did come back and finish them off!!) :)

THANKS ALL!!

hannahbear

Post by hannahbear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Single-Parent-Rat-Dad wrote:hannahbear - I have a rubber strapped watch too and they have had a go - in fact not much they don't try nibble. When they are washing my face though they are very careful with my eyelids. No doubt a future post will be me saying they have eaten an eyelid!
Yes, that happened on the same trip to see my kittens. Had a little chunk taken out of my eyelid, just glad I closed my eyes in time :roll:
I'm a little more wary about them near my eyes now... but that doesn't stop me giving them belly kisses :lol:
Hannah;
Samson, Ralph, Kit, Jeffrey, Benny and Sherlock :hearts:
Fluke, my gorgeous pooch!
:halo: Rory

Return to “Health”